Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
XCRacer5 said:
Would it be a bad idea to get a Dare for use on aggressive trails? Am I better off with the ID?
Aggressive trail use would be better on a Moment over an ID.

To your question: Mark Weir used a Dare with a Fox Talas fork for the Downieville race with winning success. So yes it can be done.

But you must ask the question do you really want to ride a very heavy Downhill bike up steep climbs? Are such slack angles suitable to general trail riding? How heavy are you? What are you demands? How aggressive is aggressive? Are we talking drops and nasty stuff or just long downhillsm, a few rocks, roots etc?

What fork would you use. The likes of an 888 would suck as a general trail bike fork!

·
wheeler
595 Posts
I have mine set up with a stratos 6o7 7in fork.. I've been running it on all kinds of trails...
from xc 24hr. loops to drops. yea u gotta push it a little harder to keep up with xc folks, but when u're passing them on a single track... it feels....welll. priceless :D :D

but like Trevor mentioned... it's all up to you, how you buid it, how good of a rider u r. The frame can do it all ;)

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
Great question, but as the guys mentioned it brings up many other questions.

My DARE I guess is setup to be able to ride all mountain type, but I do enjoy the DH and general piss about FR. I have mentioned this often in New Zealand we have to pedal up the hills.

My DARE is setup with Saint triple ring cranks etc, to allow me to climb, but I must say I could well have got away with a double ring, I never really get down to the smallest ring, so could have done away with this. The frame angles etc with a triple clamp fork does not bode well for all round XC. I have a Sherman Slider fork which I love, have got used to the SPV. But it does not climb like a pure XC bike.

I agree though, when you are passing guys on DH single track it does bring huge smiles. My last ride I was out with some mates, had a very good XC rider behind me, he was staggered just how well this bike handles downhill, the rougher and bigger drops that were presented the better the bike performed. DH this bike rocks in my opinion, like I said it was good to get an outsiders thoughts.

After reading reviews and thoughts from posters on the MOMENT, that seems like the bike for all round riding, XC, FR, DH.

For me though, the DARE rocks........................... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.