Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
i dont know it might allow u to do that!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got an email from the seller after the auction ended saying "it has 2 settings for 7 & 8 travel"

My question now is :- Where can I buy them from in the UK?

·
Sure-Fire 'Lectric
91 Posts
stinky steve said:
Just got an email from the seller after the auction ended saying "it has 2 settings for 7 & 8 travel"

My question now is :- Where can I buy them from in the UK?

DangerBoy doesn't make those anymore. I have a set on my Stinky, but it'd take a lot to make me let 'em go.

Also, the 8" setting requires a 24" rear wheel.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
I bought the BETD plates and if you buy any plates you will have to get a stiffer spring.... 50 to 100 pound heavier spring you will need....if I had to do it all over again....I would have saved my money for my next bike

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm with SMT on this one. I bought the BETD ones for my coiler but wish I hadn't. It wasn't long before I'd bought another bike.

106GBP for the plates and 35GBP and I was never happy with the way the shock coped with the extra leverage the extra 2" gave.

I sold the bike with the standard rockers as the person who bought it didn't like the feel of it with the uprated plates.

Rob

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Quality of travel vs. quantity

It seems that a lot of folks are fixated on the amount of travel that a bike has vs. the quality of said travel. Going with the longer plates (betd or dangerboy) is going to give your bike extra travel, bit it'll require a firmer spring (as smt and others have said) and it's going to mean that it'll be less supple over small stuff in order to keep it from bottoming off of big stuff. The extra leverage on the shock also wears them out quicker and generally makes them feel like pooh.... I put BETD rockers on my Bear and went back to the standard rockers after a year with a pushed shock and it rides so much better in all conditions.

FWIW, I've got a pushed Vanilla RC on an older 6" Stinky and that bike can handle anything I can throw at it. Given, I'm ~a buck sixty five with gear on, but it's handled 15 feet to tranny many times without an issue (north shore stuff). Darren Murphy from Push strongly advised me against longer rockers for my bike when I got my RC pushed a couple of years ago and I don't regret it a bit. Think quality, not quantity when referring to travel and you'll end up happier with a better performing bike.

Chers,
EBX

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,968 Posts
ebxtreme said:
It seems that a lot of folks are fixated on the amount of travel that a bike has vs. the quality of said travel. Going with the longer plates (betd or dangerboy) is going to give your bike extra travel, bit it'll require a firmer spring (as smt and others have said) and it's going to mean that it'll be less supple over small stuff in order to keep it from bottoming off of big stuff. The extra leverage on the shock also wears them out quicker and generally makes them feel like pooh.... I put BETD rockers on my Bear and went back to the standard rockers after a year with a pushed shock and it rides so much better in all conditions.

FWIW, I've got a pushed Vanilla RC on an older 6" Stinky and that bike can handle anything I can throw at it. Given, I'm ~a buck sixty five with gear on, but it's handled 15 feet to tranny many times without an issue (north shore stuff). Darren Murphy from Push strongly advised me against longer rockers for my bike when I got my RC pushed a couple of years ago and I don't regret it a bit. Think quality, not quantity when referring to travel and you'll end up happier with a better performing bike.

Chers,
EBX
best post I have ever seen on this subject....very true I was never that much happier with my extra inch of travel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts