Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a used bike, needs a chain and my legs want a larger big cog (has an 11-25 road cassette.)

I loaded up in the past but head to my cave and my 10 speed chain and cassette stocks are depleted. Come up for air to buy and what's happened? Is this still the Ireland/ shimano/ chain reaction cycles fallout? I miss those days.

Shopping for chains, the ol' budget kmc x10.98 is $34, checked and last time I bought some they were $18-20. 5 years ago?
Cassettes are crazy too, m771 is like $75. I bought some on sale 5-6 years ago they were just over $40 with free shipping.

Good thing I went long on disc rotors and brake pads...

Whats the cause of this pricing? Is this covid? Inflation? Shimano monopoly come home to roost? Is there a graph of item prices over time?

Can anyone recommend an 'after market' 10 speed cassette?

· Registered
358 Posts
I loaded up in the past but head to my cave
welcome back to reality. yes things have changed for the worse in the last 2 years even before covid. Shimano started enforcing their territory rule. German bike companies stopped shipping to USA entirely. Then covid. Then people go crazy for bikes and parts with production problems limiting supply. Last 24 months in a nutshell.

there are still some deals on older tech parts like what you mention, you just have to look look look

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesnt feel like capitalism, the suppliers must not have competition. Need some young bucks to keep them honest. Hard to imagine why a chains price goes up 2x especially because the factory in taiwan or portugal is built. I liked sach and then kmc chains but now theyre expensive like shimano, might as well get the wipperman.

I guess part of my problem is i usually shop at the local non profit bike recyclery. So i just feel it when i buy wear items.

· Registered
3,557 Posts
Doesnt feel like capitalism, the suppliers must not have competition. Need some young bucks to keep them honest. Hard to imagine why a chains price goes up 2x especially because the factory in taiwan or portugal is built. I liked sach and then kmc chains but now theyre expensive like shimano, might as well get the wipperman.

I guess part of my problem is i usually shop at the local non profit bike recyclery. So i just feel it when i buy wear items.
The cost (not retail) of consumables has been flat-to-ever-so-sleight increase. Rubber brake pads have remained where they were previously; chains may have gone up by 10% (extreme) for inexpensive models. The price increase as a percentage is, as a rule, lower the more expensive the item gets...$260 instead of $250 for a cassette is a drop in the bucket; $9 instead of $8 for a chain is enormous by comparison.

The gouging is the retailers, not the distributors. (Remembering that the order of product goes Manufacturer->Distributor [optional]->Retailer->Consumer)

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah im all about capitalism this chain cassette stuff is weird though. Or am i misremembering? Sedisport chains were $5 then 8, then price crept up, sram bought them, price higher. That was years ago. I swear chains have gone nuts though in past 6 years. Not 10%, like 2x in 6 years. No? Ok, just checked, invoices are from 2015-2017.

Pile of xt cassettes i got for $38-42, now theyre 80. Same model and everything. Xtr pedals were $50-60. Am i just mistaken? This is some sort of monopoly thing messing with prices, way outside of cost of living increases. Kmc x10.98 were $12!

Maybe i can get my cheap shimano drop shipped through nigeria or something, that sea captains wife with the chest of gold ingots needs to do something with her free time.

· Registered
521 Posts
The cost (not retail) of consumables has been flat-to-ever-so-sleight increase. Rubber brake pads have remained where they were previously; chains may have gone up by 10% (extreme) for inexpensive models. The price increase as a percentage is, as a rule, lower the more expensive the item gets...$260 instead of $250 for a cassette is a drop in the bucket; $9 instead of $8 for a chain is enormous by comparison.

The gouging is the retailers, not the distributors. (Remembering that the order of product goes Manufacturer->Distributor [optional]->Retailer->Consumer)
I know there are tons of online retailers gouging the prices on parts, but they can only do that because they swoop in and buy up available inventory. However, if you notice prices go up at your LBS, it's because prices for most things are going up about 5-10% from our distributors. I think it's mostly due to the cost of shipping containers, in the last two months I've been having to double check MSRP and our cost when adding new inventory. The price of bikes went up about the same amount this year as well, but it's mostly noticeable with cheap bikes where an additional $40 each for shipping makes kid's bikes ridiculously expensive.

(not directed at wschruba) A big chain store may be making extra money due to the bike boom, but small shops are suffering. I get sick of people asking for discounts on things because it's the only one I have left- it's not by choice, idiot. And sure, I can order whatever for you, but it won't be here before Christmas.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,092 Posts
Wait till you see how much a house costs now.

· Registered
38 Posts
Prices for EVERYTHING is going up.. bought some ny strips for the grill… $25!!!
stupid expensive.

bikes and parts have gone up a lot since I started doing my own stuff in 2017 (got ripped off at a Miami lbs and decided never again)… I had picked up a full nx drivetrain on eBay for $380 in 2019…it’s now over $500.

Even the tools.. I bought the bottom bracket tool for under $10… they’re closer to $20 now.

My own opinion, this is only the beginning of our troubles.

· Registered
281 Posts
Unfortunately higher prices for bikes and bike related stuff are not going down any time soon. Even when the supply chains works themselves out in the next 2 or 3 years don't expect a magical drop in prices. For starters bike manufacturers have ready had to lock in their orders for their part (frames, drive trains etc...) from their suppliers for the 2022, 2023 and even 2024 models (mentioned on the pinkbike podcast the other week). They will be locking in prices based on today's costs. So in a nutshell that 3k 2019 bike that is now a 4k 2021 bike is going to be a +4k bike in 2024.

What's going to happen after 2024? If I was a betting man, I would not put my money on everything reverting back to pre pandemic prices.

That said, there will still be bikes that are great value, sales and some discounts. But walking into your lbs and picking up an end of season bargain is not going to be as easy as it use to be.

· Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wait till you see how much a house costs now.
yeah bonkers real estate is the environment of disbelief. no inventory and lots of buyers. Why am I complaining about the price of a bike chain when sp is up 30% for the year? People want $150/hr to do drywall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.