Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I find 4 to 14 days works perfect.

No easy fix
Ouch! you say what we don't wanna hear.

Being sick sucks, but it sucks more when you get sick then don't rest and recover properly and get sick again right away. The first downtime seems a lot (4 to 14days) until you realize that is not much at all for the price of recovering well. We all do seem to learn that lesson at one point.

·
Registered
7,870 Posts
Ouch! you say what we don't wanna hear.

Being sick sucks, but it sucks more when you get sick then don't rest and recover properly and get sick again right away. The first downtime seems a lot (4 to 14days) until you realize that is not much at all for the price of recovering well. We all do seem to learn that lesson at one point.
My standard sick protocol is
Days 1-4: OFF or really easy.
Day 5-7: Progressive build from 1-3hrs low zone 2.
Days 7-14: Zone 2 training.
After day 14 add intensity.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,876 Posts
cut your daily road bike 110 miler to 50, take some motrin, and harden up

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,215 Posts
I find 4 to 14 days works perfect.

No easy fix
The docs always tell me about 2 weeks to get over a cold (viral infection). It can be around a week before I start to feel better and can ride at all, then another week getting better and clearing up symptoms back to 100%. It seems to hold true for me.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,215 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
My rule is; rest for a chest cold, ride through a head cold and be careful to get adequate sleep and fluids. I've had at least one really good race at the tail end of a head cold. Chest colds are bad, hopefully you don't have a race this weekend.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Take it easy, happens to everybody, even the pros. The few days off the bike will probably do you good in the long run as difficult as it is to deal with now. There are several examples of pro riders taking time off the bike due to injuries / sickness to come back stronger than ever....Matthew Hayman being a notable example.

Eat clean, cut out sugar, Oregano Oil for sure also some sort of "wellness" remedy from the natural pharmacist. I cut back on coffee since it artificially messes with your ability to really know when you feel tired and messes with cortisol levels.

If you are not coughing a lot, hit the sauna.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
No fast cures.
I woke up May 11th with a slight scratchy throat...the morning of a 6 hour race.
Hoped it was allergies....had nothing during the race ( a smarter man would have quit)
Woke up next day with full blown head/ chest cold and body aches.

Still not 100%...and another 6 hour this weekend...which I may sit out.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,215 Posts
Have they got any close ups of the oregano oil killing the virus?

·
Registered
703 Posts
My standard sick protocol is
Days 1-4: OFF or really easy.
Day 5-7: Progressive build from 1-3hrs low zone 2.
Days 7-14: Zone 2 training.
After day 14 add intensity.
Unfortunately, this is probably the best advice, and I've been sick more than often in past 3 years.

In comfort, you won't lose much sitting at home for a week or two, but you may be down for a month or more if you don't.

Training while ill won't make you stronger or harder, just weaker and will exacerbate the illness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fought through something similar a month or so ago. Turned out to be a combination of allergies & late-season cold. Vicks DayQuil Severe+ tablets finally did the trick, combined with plenty of rest. I did get in a couple of LIGHT sessions on the indoor trainer, but that was more for just keeping the legs refreshed and relaxed.

Heal up and get back out there when you're healthy again.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah turned out to be a body flu type thing that went through my work. On a separate note, I had to take someone to the er this week and the flu is why 90% of the people were there- judging by the throw up bags. Crazy, work people all had the shot.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.