Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whatever happened to them?

do they still organize races?

for those who don't know, dan barger and CSM used to run the boggs mountain bash and the sizzler classic, along with the treez and breeze in santa cruz.

i went to the CSM website and it's just a few photos and blurbs.

·
just another bleepin SSer
1,455 Posts
Haven't seen them in many years, and truthfully I am not unhappy about that.

Trees and Breez and Boggs were good races so long as they didn't try to fiddle with them, but many of the other crashed and burned. I have been to more than one race where he fell behind in registration or other areas, so announced a half hour or hour delayed start to the race, and then a bit later caught up so announced the race was back on schedule. Of course, there were people heard the first announcement, so go out to spin their legs and keep them ready for the start time, only to miss their start times.

If he did come back and could do it again, the only race I would probably consider would be T&B.

·
Shocks?, Pegs?... Lucky!
799 Posts
yeah, it was a good grassroots thing. I never did TnB though... It's good to see some new faces picking up the torch and turning out their own grassroots events.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the one treez and breeze i raced was a clusterf*ck but the sizzlers always seemed to be pretty well run.

boggs, however, was another story.

at any rate, my crew and i were usually so focused on having the biggest party in the forest that the race became an afterthought.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Whoa, get ready for a time warp! I haven't heard that name in ages.
Trees to Breeze was a good time as was Boggs, never did check out the Sizzler.

I remember throw'n elbows with Barger at the Tamarancho Knobluar when he was racing sport. He was kind of a kook but I did appreciate that he put on some events.

Knobular, now there's a throw back as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dogtown said:
Whoa, get ready for a time warp! I haven't heard that name in ages.
Trees to Breeze was a good time as was Boggs, never did check out the Sizzler.

I remember throw'n elbows with Barger at the Tamarancho Knobluar when he was racing sport. He was kind of a kook but I did appreciate that he put on some events.

Knobular, now there's a throw back as well.
ahhh, the marin/tamarancho knobular.

horrible memories, just horrible.

mud field starts, junior racers who wouldn't get the hell out of the way and the dead heifer.

what a place, what a race.

·
Medium?
6,728 Posts
He ran the Bonzai DH weeknight series at Grant Ranch around y2k. I got me a Bonzai Tree 3rd place trophy. Good times...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i remember starting an XC race during a downpour at grant ranch in 1999. broke my chain about halfway through, jogged/costed the rest of the way, still finished 19th out of forty some beginner racers.

last time i looked in 2001, my chain was still hanging from the fence post i left it on.

yup, good times and nothing but!

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
19,862 Posts
Anyone remember the guy who used to put on the races in NorCal who was an ex motocrosser who was paralized & in a wheelchair? He put on several races that were really dangerous for mtb-ers. 2 of my friends got hurt pretty badly doing his races. :mad:

fp

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
1 person was killed by rockfall

Sean Allan said:
I believe he was doing adventure races, big time ones if I remember correct. Primal Quest? I think he may have gotten out of it when a couple of people passed away in accidents during some races.
An Aussie named Nigel was killed by rockfall dislodged by team Montrail, it was a tragic accident in PQ 3 in Washington state, and it was a crushing blow to Dan and Maria / CSM / Subaru / PQ inc.

Elite Adventure racers are a different breed from regular Multi sport Ultra athletes.

The desire to win pushes these type of athletes into a realm beyond.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Back to school

Dan , very smart and a great racer, ultra running, adventure racing, ride and ties. Raced against him many times and did many of his events.Adventure racing costs went to high anyway. He will make a come back its in his blood.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Finch Platte said:
Anyone remember the guy who used to put on the races in NorCal who was an ex motocrosser who was paralized & in a wheelchair? He put on several races that were really dangerous for mtb-ers. 2 of my friends got hurt pretty badly doing his races. :mad:

fp
Danny "Magoo" Chandler. He lives just outside of Foresthill in the town of Michigan Bluff. I see him out on the porch in his wheelchair every time I go through there. He looks really jacked up, but is surprisingly lucid and engaging if you stop to talk to him.
Those races at Sugar Pine must have been tough( before my time), I ride out there quite a bit and it's a rough go in a lot of places, particularly out towards China Wall. I'm not surprised people got hurt there:eek:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Great races

I loved the races, The harder the better. Got 2nd one year on my Fully ridged. The one out of MB was hell!! :thumbsup:

·
formerly Gobike69
346 Posts
Glad He's Gone

No organizational skills + No people skills = Crappy Races

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
I miss Dan's races, I *****ed and moaned about how he ran them like a lot of people, but I always ended up having a fun time.

Still break out the Tree's & Breeze and Sizzler socks sometimes. The 12 hour Hell of the West at Grant ranch is what got me interested in endurance racing.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Magoo

Danny was my Motocross hero as a kid. Crazy fast when he was on, no one in the world could touch him if he stayed upright. A lot like James Stewart today, he did things on a bike that I dreamed were possible, but had never seen anyone pull off. I vividly remember a poster in my room - Magoo was airborn, going over the bars of his Maico, both hands up in the air preparing for landing, with the ground nowhere in sight.

Hope he's doing OK...being a quadrapalegic is a tough life.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
**Still break out the Tree's & Breeze and Sizzler socks sometimes**

i lost my sizzler socks but still have a treez and breeze t shirt.

i actually have the sun from the treez and breeze tattooed on my back...

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
The question left unanswered.

Reviving an old thread - what's up with him. Cal Eco was fun, stop complaining, weenies.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow, what a blast from the past. I used to work with Dan in the early 90's, long before he was doing the races, and he taught me a lot about rock climbing. The last time I saw him my wife and I were "riding" up the Hotel Trail in Grant Ranch and he ran (uphill) past us. Dan was a good guy but easily misunderstood of you didn't know him well. He could seem aloof but it was more just a lack of social skills than anything else. From what I remember about Dan, he probably stopped putting on the races because he got tired about people whining about the lack of organization. Or, he just realized that he really didn't have the organizational skills to pull it off and called it quits.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts