Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Fox 36 RC2 that’s due for a full service and rebuild. I’m debating between just doing the service or spending a little more to put in a Grip 2 damper and an Avalanche cartridge(a lot more).

The fork has preformed well thus far. I’m not really chasing comfort but if I can get some more traction and squeeze some performance out of the fork by switching to a different damper that’s pretty appealing.

Does anyone have any hands on experience going between these dampers or thoughts on what the best option might be?

For reference it’s on an Ibis Ripmo with an X2 and I have a luftkappe installed in the fork. I’m around ~190lbs ready to ride. I live in the south east with no shortage of rocks, roots, and off camber sections.

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I have a Fox 36 RC2 that's due for a full service and rebuild. I'm debating between just doing the service or spending a little more to put in a Grip 2 damper and an Avalanche cartridge(a lot more).

The fork has preformed well thus far. I'm not really chasing comfort but if I can get some more traction and squeeze some performance out of the fork by switching to a different damper that's pretty appealing.

Does anyone have any hands on experience going between these dampers or thoughts on what the best option might be?

For reference it's on an Ibis Ripmo with an X2 and I have a luftkappe installed in the fork. I'm around ~190lbs ready to ride. I live in the south east with no shortage of rocks, roots, and off camber sections.
I just went through the same decision on my 36 RC2 (with Push ACS3 coil). I decided to go with a Push custom tune on the RC2 instead of a Grip 2.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Short answer - nothing beats custom tuned.
I don't know about that. I've had both forks and shocks custom tuned by most of the big names in the business and as much as I was hoping to be able to post here on mtbr about what a night a day difference they made I've actually never been terribly impressed with the results from any of them and a couple of them took a couple tries at it.

So at this point I'm firmly in the upgrade over custom tune camp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.