Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About my only solace is some low life has a set of used Cane Creek Direct Curve 5 brakes, a random kitchen mixer blade, and two T-shirts, probably of ICP or something similarly goofy. Probably all in some trash can by now, not the iPod or digital camera or jewelery they were hoping for.

The postman left three packages on our and our neighbor's doorstep, all with tracking numbers, and all missing. Ten years here and never a problem.

Friggin' gutter trash.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Thieves suck, especially when they steal something they can't even use, but it leaves you having to spend your hard-earned money rebuying what they took.

My Jeep was broken into a few years ago when I was in DC. The thief ransacked the car, but the only thing he took was my camelbak. I'm sure he only took it because it looked like a backpack and he hoped to find something valuable in it. Except all that was in it was water, a multitool, the battery to my headlamp, some gels, and maybe a CO2 inflator. Worthless to him on the street, I'm sure, but it cost me over $150 to replace everything.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Thats really lame, I am glad i live in the middle of no where and have no porch theives. And it helps my old man went to high school with our UPS driver, he usually puts the packages just inside the door and gives our dog a treat lol

·
Registered
476 Posts
I always say,

If you steal from me and get away with it, shame on me for leaving myself vulnerable.
If you steal from me and get caught, I will take my time with you.

Petty thieves are the low life scum. I do not condone stealing at all, but it is especially bad when you steal from an actual person (opposed to store). That is just horrible and the thief should get syphilis of the eyes.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Sorry to say, it's a human race thing and they're too many who think there's nothing wrong with it :madman: I feel for you Nate, glad it wasn't anything really expensive or valuable.

While I was in college I visited my Mum up in Montreal and someone stole a flash bracket out of the front pocket of my knapsack :skep: no use to them what so ever, camera was safe inside the main compartment, but because they could, so they did :madman:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
About my only solace is some low life has a set of used Cane Creek Direct Curve 5 brakes, a random kitchen mixer blade, and two T-shirts, probably of ICP or something similarly goofy. Probably all in some trash can by now, not the iPod or digital camera or jewelery they were hoping for.

The postman left three packages on our and our neighbor's doorstep, all with tracking numbers, and all missing. Ten years here and never a problem.

Friggin' gutter trash.
Sorry to hear that. I placed a small sign on my door intructing UPS, FedEx, USPS, etc ... to leave packages at the back door (or other non-visible location). It has worked for about 5 years ... so far.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
This is the exact reason I put a camera on my porch. It records every bit of movement and alerts my cell phone whenever it detects movement and I can view it live on my cell phone. Not fool proof by any means but at least I will have a video of the perp. If anything else, the sight of the camera might be enough of a deterrent as well.

·
Tool
1,973 Posts
I know this isn't an option for everyone, but I always have packages delievered to my work address. There's always someone to sign for the package, and there's very, very little chance of theft.

-Pete

·
Registered
48 Posts
Pedalphile said:
I know this isn't an option for everyone, but I always have packages delievered to my work address. There's always someone to sign for the package, and there's very, very little chance of theft.

-Pete
Same here, especially since I live in an apartment. I only have it delivered to my home address when I know I'm going to be home on the day of delivery.

·
2006 Yeti AS-X
3,217 Posts
Sorry to hear, I always worry about my packages.. I have two big bushes in front of my front door that obstruct the view from the road.

Nothing foolproof so far I have been blessed that nothing got lifted from my porch.

·
I Have Cookies
2,644 Posts
Pedalphile said:

-Pete
That's what I've been doing for years! sometimes it sucks because I commute to work via bike..... depends on what I have to carry I guess!:D

·
Super Moderator
3,267 Posts
Twenty Times said:
I always say,

If you steal from me and get away with it, shame on me for leaving myself vulnerable.
If you steal from me and get caught, I will take my time with you.

Petty thieves are the low life scum. I do not condone stealing at all, but it is especially bad when you steal from an actual person (opposed to store). That is just horrible and the thief should get syphilis of the eyes.
Why Even differentiate? :rolleyes:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think today I did our neighbor a favor -- the same neighbor who lost the T-shirts. I signed for her package and threw it over her fence to her back porch. I sure hope she found it back there because I never saw her to tell her.

I used to receive my packages at work, but that's not workable with my current employment situation. As I mentioned in my original post, I've been here for a long time (actually 12 years) and this is the first time it's happened, so I'm not too put out about it.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
OP, FWIW, unless you live in a shady neighborhood it os probably some punk kids. Old enough to be a$$ holes but too young to chase puss and/or party, etc. Most always middle school age. Keep an eye out for that age group roaming the hood.

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mnigro said:
...unless you live in a shady neighborhood...
Not only a decent neighborhood, but a few homes from the end of a dead end street, sufficiently far off the beaten path. If it wasn't the neighbor kids up the street, or the questionable yet friendly renters across the street (and again, we've never had this problem before), then it was somebody following the mail truck and "Christmas shopping."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.