Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been lurking and considering a 29incher for commuting the 17.5 miles each way to work. I've been thinking about a Karate Monkey, but I need more input. I'm a BMX / MTB jumping fool. I ride skateparks, dirt jumps, whatever. Just get me flowing and slamming. Every bike I own gets used in every environment, whether it was built for it or not. (i.e. I've rode over 100 miles to my parents house on a GT Chucker 3.0 with a flag pole esk seatpost, then swapped seat/seatpost and rode the local skatepark) Couple that with the fact that there are 2 skateparks and some dirt jumps along my route back and forth to work, I'm going to need a strong 29er. I'm thinking steel frame, 18" frame with low standover, maybe toe clearance for barspins, Profile Racing cranks, gears, horizontal dropout (to ride home in case the gears get trashed), rigid fork, tough, tough, tough.....

Should I continue looking at a 18" Monkey? Anybody know of stronger frames? I'm wanting something off the shelf, but might consider custom if the price isn't rediculous. Is there a stronger rim for 29ers than the Sun Rhyno Lites? What's the closest I can get to tires like the Kenda K-Rad? Right now I'm looking at the Kenda Karma.

Any other ideas?

I'm 6' 2", 215lbs, 36" inseam, with size 11.5 shoes.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ihatemybike said:
I've been lurking and considering a 29incher for commuting the 17.5 miles each way to work. I've been thinking about a Karate Monkey, but I need more input. I'm a BMX / MTB jumping fool. I ride skateparks, dirt jumps, whatever. Just get me flowing and slamming. Every bike I own gets used in every environment, whether it was built for it or not. (i.e. I've rode over 100 miles to my parents house on a GT Chucker 3.0 with a flag pole esk seatpost, then swapped seat/seatpost and rode the local skatepark) Couple that with the fact that there are 2 skateparks and some dirt jumps along my route back and forth to work, I'm going to need a strong 29er. I'm thinking steel frame, 18" frame with low standover, maybe toe clearance for barspins, Profile Racing cranks, gears, horizontal dropout (to ride home in case the gears get trashed), rigid fork, tough, tough, tough.....

Should I continue looking at a 18" Monkey? Anybody know of stronger frames? I'm wanting something off the shelf, but might consider custom if the price isn't rediculous. Is there a stronger rim for 29ers than the Sun Rhyno Lites? What's the closest I can get to tires like the Kenda K-Rad? Right now I'm looking at the Kenda Karma.

Any other ideas?

I'm 6' 2", 215lbs, 36" inseam, with size 11.5 shoes.
You want a 29"er commute bike for 35 miles round trip per day that can also handle the skateparks and dirt jumps you'll pass on the way to and from work, handle a Clydesdale onboard, do bar spins with, has a low standover, is strong and tough and doesn't have a ridiculous price?

Let us know what you come up with and how it performs for you. :cool:

In the meantime, I guess you could take a look at something like this:

http://www.sebmx.com/2006/bike-detail.asp?id=10

BB

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
I'm betting that the Monkey is your best bet. Since you're used to smaller bikes, the 18" would probably fit fine with a looong post. 36 hole wheels would be needed for sure. Rhyno lites are available, if not hard to find. You could also go with the Kris Holm rims. Wide and burly for the Uni cyclists. As for tires, I'm putting my money on the Schwalbe Big Apple. The biggest, fastest tire on the market right now for the uses you have. It is a mostly roadish tread though. It'd be kinda sketchy on dirt jumps. It'd be perfect for skate parks though.

You may also want to look at Redlines 06 Monocog 29". $450 or so retail. SS only, so no gears...but, it should prove to have a burly steel frame and servicable components.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Thing with the KM is, it's pretty strong, but for an 18" not really low standover. Others would meassure it to 19.4", and the toptube is mounted quite close (1.4") to the top of seat tube.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
~martini~ said:
You may also want to look at Redlines 06 Monocog 29". $450 or so retail. SS only, so no gears...but, it should prove to have a burly steel frame and servicable components.
Just did a search on this bike. I think I now have my goal. Looks like the stock hub might be a multi-speed hub with a single speed kit. If true, add DMR's chain tug/mech hanger, SRAM shifting stuff, and a NSB Hanger Banger and it should be good to go. I'll probably have to get a Monkey or stronger fork. I've previously choppered out a Monocog fork on my Chucker with relative ease. Is the SE 29er fork suspension corrected?

I'm a Clydesdale?

·
Registered
130 Posts
ihatemybike said:
Just did a search on this bike. I think I now have my goal. Looks like the stock hub might be a multi-speed hub with a single speed kit. If true, add DMR's chain tug/mech hanger, SRAM shifting stuff, and a NSB Hanger Banger and it should be good to go. I'll probably have to get a Monkey or stronger fork. I've previously choppered out a Monocog fork on my Chucker with relative ease. Is the SE 29er fork suspension corrected?

I'm a Clydesdale?
You are a light clyde, but still are one. A clydesdale is over 200lbs.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ihatemybike said:
I'm a Clydesdale?
Yup. At 215 pounds you are 15 pounds over the starting point of the Clydesdale classification (200 pounds). Add up your clothing and any gear you might tag along on a ride and, well the pounds start to add up.

BB (former Clydesdale who has dropped from 212 down to 182)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.