Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn the JJ and Chad!!! (Idaho City Park & Ski content)

Well as I start this thread while sitting in my office on a late Sunday afternoon in a HOT downtown Boise, these two mofos....

...are probably in Stanley right now enjoy the heaven on earth known as the Sawtooths. And then later this evening they are heading down to Ketchum/SV to have some dinner. Lovely. Ya' know some of us are very unfortunate :madman: to actually be working right now. Ugh. Hope you two are having a great time! It was fun riding today!!!

Those two, along with yours truly, got up way too damn early to ride up at the Idaho City Park & Ski areas. We finally got up there around 8:30am while we waited around for another rider that may have been joining us...I just checked my email and it was the wrong Ruth, but she apparently works in one of the lookouts up there, but cuz of her schedule was not able to make it this morning.

We started out at the Gold Fork area and did the west Gold Fork loop. Please note...I'm not the best at route finding so we had to do some backtracking so that we wouldn't end up in China Basin and then ended up sorta bushwhacking our way down the correct Gold Fork trail back to the parking lot. We took a bit of a break and downed some drinks and then got geared up again and headed out to east Gold Fork with the intention of doing some trails around there and then ending up at Banner Ridge.

Ya' know...I think Kouba was right...it was WARM up there. You'd think that being up in the mountains it'd be 10 degrees or so cooler. Well maybe in the shade, but damn it was warm. And none of us remembered to get on the sunscreen before taking off. And none of us brought bug spray. It's safe to say that JJ's ass probably has some good bites from some pesky black flies. Ugh I hate those ****ers.

We climbed. Climbed some more. And climbed even some more. Definately alot of work, especially for me and JJ, but it was definately worth it. Solitude and more solitude. and the views were just awesome!!! So peaceful up there and the air was so fresh and clean! Man you can't beat that!

We FINALLY get up to Banner Ridge. We wanted to visit the yurt, but it appeared it was being occupied since we saw several vehicles there so we didn't want to disturb them. We enjoyed a nice cruise down the main road leading up to Banner Ridge and then took a left on 21 and zoomed back down to Gold Fork.

Overall and FANTABULOUS time! Great friends, great riding, great scenery, great trails, maybe a bit too warm and too many bugs (and apparently too much bear/wolf/cougar jizz..ask Chad about that), but man what a great way to spend a Sunday (well minus me being at work right now). Definately many more trips like this will hopefully happen!

And one last parting shot.....

This is not how you are suppose to ride up a short, steep hill...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Nick, I thought you were supposed to be working, not spending hours on MTBR. :nono:
We leasurely made our way through Lowman to Stanley. I havnt been there in about 15 years. We took a sidetrip to Redfish, so I could show JJ the campground that I spent at least a week of my childhood at every year. Nothing better than seeing JJs expression the first time she layed eyes on the Sawtooths. :eekster: ALMOST as good as the first time she saw the Grand Tetons. By the time we got into SV, we were both soo hungry that a Cliffbar would have tasted like STEAK! Nick, one word to make you salivate for hours....CHAPALAS!
Thanks again for playing tour guide. I am still in shock for the years I have ridden in Boise, and never taken the time to ride the trails above Idaho City. We will be going back, and SOON!
Here is some proof that even though he claims to hate climbing, our fearless tour guide Nick, not only can, but truely does have 4% Billy Goat blood....

And just one more....if you have never seen Redfish Lake, here it is. Breathtaking!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.