Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a EA70 stem off of ebay (100mm 0 deg rise) to replace my EA50 130mm 0 deg thinking oh EA70 little lighter and little stronger plus I needed the shorter stem to help dial in my bike fitting me.... well much to my surprise the EA70 is heavier and retails HIGER then the EA50.... I thought EA50=standard stuff, little heavier and EA70 Stronger lighter, premium grade... I guess I was wrong? oh well so now I am looking for an EA50 100mm 0 degree as the weight isn't THAT much of a difference but why would i take off one component to put on a heavier one as an "upgrade" I guess I will run it till I find the lighter EA50 100mm 0 deg but I feel like a big dumbass for not looking it up prior to the purchase... funny thing is the only reason I looked into it is it just seemed to feel heavier in my hand... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Jenson USA

jensonusa.com has them on sale, just ordered one last night. In fact, it's a bar and stem combo for $25.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
because

why would i take off one component to put on a heavier one as an "upgrade"

because lighter does not necessarily equal mo' better

if everyone thought that way, Brooks saddles wouldn't exist

does the weight weenie forum know you escaped?

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Carbon&Ti_Guy said:
Ordered a EA70 stem off of ebay (100mm 0 deg rise) to replace my EA50 130mm 0 deg thinking oh EA70 little lighter and little stronger plus I needed the shorter stem to help dial in my bike fitting me.... well much to my surprise the EA70 is heavier and retails HIGER then the EA50.... I thought EA50=standard stuff, little heavier and EA70 Stronger lighter, premium grade... I guess I was wrong? oh well so now I am looking for an EA50 100mm 0 degree as the weight isn't THAT much of a difference but why would i take off one component to put on a heavier one as an "upgrade" I guess I will run it till I find the lighter EA50 100mm 0 deg but I feel like a big dumbass for not looking it up prior to the purchase... funny thing is the only reason I looked into it is it just seemed to feel heavier in my hand... :rolleyes:
You must have purchased last year's EA70. This year's model is lighter than the EA50. I don't know if the EA70 is stronger than the EA50. There are exceptions to the rule, but basically heavier is usually stronger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bulC said:
why would i take off one component to put on a heavier one as an "upgrade"

because lighter does not necessarily equal mo' better

if everyone thought that way, Brooks saddles wouldn't exist

does the weight weenie forum know you escaped?
Ok there was nothing wrong with the strength of the 130mm EA50 the ONLY reason for a different stem was because I am short so 130 was a little too long, and I also figured the EA70's were as light or lighter then the 50's and as it turns out I was wrong, after looking on jensonusa the 70 is more $$$ and heavier then the 50... I was under the impression the 50's were the entry level etc and the 70's were lighter better versions of their 50 bretheren, I was mistaken, needless to say I will be putting the 70 right back up on ebay (or probably give it away to a friend) and getting a 110 or 100 mm 50, and I am not some kind of uber weight weenie I just would rather have a light bike then have some uber-tough 30lb tank... no sense in carrying any more weight then is necesary.

·
Registered
227 Posts
For god sake

Carbon&Ti_Guy said:
Ok there was nothing wrong with the strength of the 130mm EA50 the ONLY reason for a different stem was because I am short so 130 was a little too long, and I also figured the EA70's were as light or lighter then the 50's and as it turns out I was wrong, after looking on jensonusa the 70 is more $$$ and heavier then the 50... I was under the impression the 50's were the entry level etc and the 70's were lighter better versions of their 50 bretheren, I was mistaken, needless to say I will be putting the 70 right back up on ebay (or probably give it away to a friend) and getting a 110 or 100 mm 50, and I am not some kind of uber weight weenie I just would rather have a light bike then have some uber-tough 30lb tank... no sense in carrying any more weight then is necesary.
How much weight are we talking about here? A packet of ketchup? You could give yourself an enema before you ride and save at least 400 grams per log depending on what you had for breakfast. Don't wear any socks either, that will save you at least 200 grams.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Philo Beddoe said:
How much weight are we talking about here? A packet of ketchup? You could give yourself an enema before you ride and save at least 400 grams per log depending on what you had for breakfast. Don't wear any socks either, that will save you at least 200 grams.
No it was more then a "measureable" difference I definetly noticed it right when I picked it up, it's not like my bike is uber light but I am not trying to make it heavier. it's like right around 21.75 and it's a hard tail, thats not THAT light

·
Old Enough to Know Better
158 Posts
If your EA70 from ebay has a hinged handlebar clamp, it is definitely an older model. I saw a bunch of these on sale at Supergo last month, and realized they were definitly not the current model - and definitely heavier. Wouldn't be surprized to see them on ebay.

·
Registered Dietitian
1,762 Posts
The weight weenie forum...

Carbon&Ti_Guy said:
No it was more then a "measureable" difference I definetly noticed it right when I picked it up, it's not like my bike is uber light but I am not trying to make it heavier. it's like right around 21.75 and it's a hard tail, thats not THAT light
... is the only place a 21.75 lb. hardtail would be considered "not THAT light". That's an extremely light bike by any normal trailriding standard. See how many production hardtails you can find that are truly sub-22 lbs.

Tommy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Grampa said:
If your EA70 from ebay has a hinged handlebar clamp, it is definitely an older model. I saw a bunch of these on sale at Supergo last month, and realized they were definitly not the current model - and definitely heavier. Wouldn't be surprized to see them on ebay.
Ahhh that is probably what it is, I like the hinge feature but it isn't like it makes any difference it's just a neat idea, I just wanted to have a stem (as light or lighter is better too) that had a removable faceplate so the swap would be easy and painless and be a little shorter, as it turns out I may need one a little longer... I will know after tomorrow (planning a 25+ mile ride).

And as for being a weight weenie, for the guy above, I haven't had my bike on a scale yet but it might be closer to 22-22.25 lbs, and finding a production hardtail in that weight range is not hard, take a look at the litespeeds and airbornes they are all around that, I just buy parts that are as light as possible without being outrageous in price, i.e. I will not pay $40 extra for a handlebar that is only 20g lighter (Easton EA70 flatbar @ 145g and EC70 @125 and 39.99/79.99 respectively) That to me is not worth it. So I guess you could say I am a budget weight weenie if there is such a thing.

·
'18 Transition Sentinel
1,015 Posts
What are the pro's/con's of this "hinged" bar clamp? (EA70 stem)

Since I just noticed that my stem thread is stripped last night, I need to get a new stem quickly (& cheaply). I saw that Supergo currently has (last year's?) EA70 (Welded Aluminum with hinged clamp) for $10 (per flyer, not online), too. I've read the EA70 Welded Aluminum reviews here on MTBR, and it seems to score fine. So, I'll probably end up with that...

Grampa said:
If your EA70 from ebay has a hinged handlebar clamp, it is definitely an older model. I saw a bunch of these on sale at Supergo last month, and realized they were definitly not the current model - and definitely heavier.
But, I'm very curious about this "hinged" clamp of EA70 Welded Aluminum. What are its purposes (in comparison to the regular 2- or 4-bolt style, like EA70 Forged Aluminum)? Any pro's/con's? :confused: Is it just a different design (without significant pro's/con's)? Is it somehow stronger (if so, how?), or actually weaker (if so, how? - ie. bent hinge pins per tightening of one bolt?)? It notes "composite friendly", so it that what its main pro is? (If so, it won't matter with my aluminum bar anyway.)

I know I can't lose for $10, but I'm just curious...

Thanks,
- PiroChu

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
You bought the older welded/hinged EA70 (210g). The new forged model with the two bolt clamp is 135g and doesn't look nearly as nasty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts