Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
A Real Winner.
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been a closet weight weenie for years. I've always thought about weight, weighed bikes, and now. . .I'm coming out of the closet! YES, I COUNT GRAMS! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHY I DO! I CAN'T HELP MYSELF! Everytime a customer comes into my store with a nice bike, I always ask them what it weighs, and convince them to throw it on the scale. I also always find a little bit of humor when people have $1500 f/s bikes that they think weighs 25 pounds, boy are they shocked when the scale reads 36 pounds (I will protect the bikes identity)!

So, I've been using a Rapala fish scale to weigh bikes (see my other post below), but I was wondering what a good hanging scale that counts in grams is, and where do you get them? I've been checking out some postage scales at Office Max, and I think they will work well for small things, but not wheels, and whole bike weights.

So what do you use to count grams?

·
SUBLIM8er
2,203 Posts
I think people have reported good accuracy w/the Ultimate hang scale. I think every shop should have one. Just go to Staples or Office Max to get a table top scale. They are accurate. That's what I did for like 40 bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
774 Posts
Axis II said:
I think people have reported good accuracy w/the Ultimate hang scale. I think every shop should have one. Just go to Staples or Office Max to get a table top scale. They are accurate. That's what I did for like 40 bucks.
I have the same scale in the pic above and I checked it with a 5 gram/25gram/250gram brass weights and it was within 1 gram . I also have the ultimate hanging scale that weighed my Revelation fork at 1670 grams and the pelouze weighed it at 1668 grams and I have foung it ti be within 5 to 10 grams on weights up 25 lbs !

·
Registered
23,381 Posts

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
What..

b12yan88 said:
"It might not be as accurate, but it gets the job done for 14 bucks"
:rolleyes: And all this time I thought weight was all about accuracy..:madman: Just think I could of been Cheap and Close..:lol:

Hell, :incazzato: whats a Gram or two every time you weigh components..:confused: Go figure..:madman:

Jake Pay,POWERED by SRAM Here..:ihih::yesnod::smilewinkgrin::winker::lol:

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
bike_freak said:
Why? If your frame or fork is over that weight than you should be using a hanging scale (like the Ultimate one).

For the price - I think it's one of the best going...
I have the Feedback Sports Scale (Feedback makes Ultimate's Scale)
http://www.feedbacksports.com/index.html

I just want the flexibility to weight things like boxes for shipping on the scaleas well. I've shipped many things around 9-10 lbs. Nothing astronomical but well over 6.6lbs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the Ultimate hanging scale and it's great for the heavy stuff (complete bike, etc) but I think it does tend to round up or down to the nearest 5 grams. Looks like to be a real WW, you need both kinds of scales. :crazy:

Anyone know where I can find an accurate gram scale on the cheap? ;)

·
Registered
263 Posts
elephant said:
Go to a bad neighborhood and find a pawn shop. For some reason they always have used scales. I guess they have a lot of weight weenies in the tough parts of town also.
Yeah, WW's alright - but they are trying to *add* weight to their projects, not remove... :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.