Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so mad at myself, how stupid of me :(

At the end of a ride on a parking lot, I stood my bike next to a foot high curb and it slid down and the rear triangle hit the concrete with paint chipping off exposing the carbon fiber. I’m afraid that the carbon structure is compromised and the possibility of the triangle braking during more aggressive riding conditions. Not sure how much I should worry about it.
:madmax:

20150705_133922_resized.jpg

20150705_133934_resized.jpg

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Cosmetically it's a bummer, but the carbon has to be strong enough to handle a knock like that w/o structural damage. I wouldn't worry about it too much from that standpoint. You may get to practice some wet sanding and polishing and then touch up painting to get it back to "pretty" though.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cosmetically it's a bummer, but the carbon has to be strong enough to handle a knock like that w/o structural damage. I wouldn't worry about it too much from that standpoint. You may get to practice some wet sanding and polishing and then touch up painting to get it back to "pretty" though.
it looks so bad :( but feels still quite solid. I hope you are right, its not like I crashed at high speed and impacted a rock.

Finding the right paint will be a pain. Ibis does not have any color codes available or touch up paint. I did get orange/yellow metallic model paint some time back. I need to test how well it matches. There is also a guy in Chicago that does bike frame refinishing work. I did get a quote from him a couple years ago to repaint Ibis SL (he does carbon frames). Frame, single color $160 Carbon fiber prep $40. Maybe he could do it for a good price.

·
J-Flo
1,739 Posts
Dariusf, that just looks like a paint chip. I would not stress about it. But please confirm as I would think the good folks at Ibis will tell you the same.

It hurts to have your ride scratched up, I know, but it helps to think of it as a "battle scar" (even if this one wasn't in actual battle). A well-ridden and much enjoyed bike will get scraped and scratched. No two ways about it. The only way to keep a bike looking shiny and new is not to ride it.

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
I got at least 1/2 dozen that look like that on my HDR from rock hits during crashes, I'm not to worried about it, might do some touch up paint if I ever find time.

·
ready to ride
859 Posts
Take a coin and lightly tap along the triangle. Start in the non damaged are and then move to the damaged area. If the sound is consistent you are good. If there is a sharp change and the it sounds dead in the damaged area you need to get a crash replacement.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Take a coin and lightly tap along the triangle. Start in the non damaged are and then move to the damaged area. If the sound is consistent you are good. If there is a sharp change and the it sounds dead in the damaged area you need to get a crash replacement.

the problem would be that this are is where the construction of the tube changes due to the mount point for the link. I think its much stronger in that area.

Fortunately it does look just like cosmetic. Got a reply from Ibis as well based on the pictures. They also do not have any rear triangles left in orange :(

Thanks for all the responses, makes me feel better. Now I need to decide if I paint it or put a sticker like some suggested :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts