Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Look at the lefty promotional video at other threads. Should still have plenty of safety margin. Put some protective tape on it and keep riding and check regularly for cracks. You are lucky to have a carbon lefty to abuse.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Not sure I'd be as cavalier about it as kuiwing. How much do you value your teeth/health? IMO it looks pretty bad considering CF gets a very large percentage of its strength from the use of continuous fibers. From the pics it looks like you've rubbed through a layer or more of the CF sheet. That said the big issue will be if the area effected is either a cosmetic or structural layer. I’d email c’dale with pics and if they say its toast I might look into sending it to Calfee for repair if it’s possible. Better to be safe than sorry.

·
USED2COULD
1,274 Posts
Ramjm_2000 said:
Not sure I'd be as cavalier about it as kuiwing. How much do you value your teeth/health? IMO it looks pretty bad considering CF gets a very large percentage of its strength from the use of continuous fibers. From the pics it looks like you've rubbed through a layer or more of the CF sheet. That said the big issue will be if the area effected is either a cosmetic or structural layer. I'd email c'dale with pics and if they say its toast I might look into sending it to Calfee for repair if it's possible. Better to be safe than sorry.
Asking Cannondale won't be a useful exercise.
To protect themselves their answer can only be that it is not safe.

Zagi - that is some IMPRESSIVE cable rub.

To me it looks to be between the clamps. Meaning there is a natural redundancy in the steer tube. It isn't as safe as the day it was new, but if it did fail, who knows it might not be instantly catastrophic.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
NS2000X said:
Asking Cannondale won't be a useful exercise.
To protect themselves their answer can only be that it is not safe.
Agreed. Gotta tow the company (and lawyers) line.

NS2000X said:
To me it looks to be between the clamps. Meaning there is a natural redundancy in the steer tube. It isn't as safe as the day it was new, but if it did fail, who knows it might not be instantly catastrophic.
If you had to have an issue in the carbon I agree this would be the place to have it (versus below the bottom clamp). That said, I can still envision charging down an off camber/sketchy downhill and the tube snapping causing either damage to the internals or just enough loss of control to send you flying. As I mentioned before I'd probably speak with Craig Calfree or Brent Ruegamer, both carbon gurus who repair carbon frames, for their sage advice (Come to think of it I believe Bret has actually done some custom lefty stuff if memory serves me right).

Found it http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6543

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it is around $175 to replace the upper portion of the carbon lefty. I think I would spend that before riding too much with that damage as the consequences could be pretty severe...but that's just me.

·
Registered
496 Posts
a cannondale rep gave me a terralogic with a deep cable rub groove below the lower clamp with no qualms. i don't think he'd do that unless he thought it was safe

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    202.8 KB Views: 641

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have a basic 2005 Lefty MAX and I have a few cable rubs on it amd my Prophet. I put that clear friction tape on all areas where it could happen before it got too bad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
those cable rub on my lefty is not my fault
I am the second owner , it s from ebay
and must make a decision , to keep lefty and repair or send back to seller

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I the seller didn't disclose the damage, I'd send it back. That said, if you got it for a steal it might be worth keeping and having repaired.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,363 Posts
Two of mine look like that, no problems to date....

I'd get some loop side velcro sticky strips, and use them for protection. The clear scuff pads wear out too fast....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
Two of mine look like that, no problems to date....

I'd get some loop side velcro sticky strips, and use them for protection. The clear scuff pads wear out too fast....:thumbsup:
The velcro is good, but I have been using electrical tape. Electrical tape does not leave any sticky residue behind either. Plus, one roll will cover all of you bikes, for a long time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts