Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I am trying to determine if it is still safe to go on normal trail rides still with my carbon bars I just got a few months ago. I had a spill over the bars at a bike part and got a little injured. What was worse was I noticed my bars were scratched and cant decide if it is still safe to ride. Im around 185lb and do tend to hit jumps and drops on the trails. Any thoughts on if the bars are good?

Attachments

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hmm, without seeing a closeup of the scratches it seems they aren’t that bad. Looks just like a superficial scratch on the very top coat. My vote is remove the electrical tap from your bars and ride!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the scratches dont seem to be that deep but thought I would get some opinions. Not sure what you mean by the electrical tape the black is just the bars. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yeah the scratches dont seem to be that deep but thought I would get some opinions. Not sure what you mean by the electrical tape the black is just the bars. Thanks for the input.
Oh, looks like there is electrical tape on the bars where the stem clamps it, guess it's just the design. Carbon crash damage is difficult to assess and I assume if there is any penetration to the carbon or even resin layers, that the strength is compromised. And obviously, bars are not where you want to compromise. I'd recommend cleaning really well and getting a real good look at all the scratches, if ANY of them are deep I'd replace the bar, but like I mentioned initially, from the pics it seems good to go.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
You need to remove that brake and check for cracks around the clamp area. Looks like its got a bit of rash on the master so there has been a bit of pressure thru the clamp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.