Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so after taking 12 yrs or so off from riding I came back to a Santa Cruz chameleon that I love.

Long story short I ended up getting a new warranty frame and while threading the bb into the new frame I could not get the drive side cup to start straight. I know which way the thread goes and i tried it a few times on the old frame and it threaded in fine. Back to the old new frame and it would go in a few threads and then start to go in more crooked.

I think I’m a decent mechanic on bikes and motorcycles but for some reason out of frustration I grabbed the wrench and began “coaxing” it in but was met with too much resistance. I unthreaded the cup and ran it a few more times through the old frame and it threaded in again fine. Tried one last time on the new frame and it went in all the way by hand, backed it out, re greased and back in again by hand for final torquing. Besides the first few threads of the cup being possibly slightly rounded, and my ocd and paranoia to the max, anyone think of any crazy damage to the bb shell for further maintenance down the road, besides anything obvious?

·
Banned
10,330 Posts
Most likely not. Sounds more like some burrs than cross threaded? When it comes time for a new bb I'd chase the threads for sure.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
If it's installed don't sweat it. Next time you replace the bb have a shop run a thread chaser in there. You'll be fine. I cross threaded a bb all the way in and the shop cleaned it up for me when it came time to replace. Not ideal, as I shouldn't have done it in the first place but it was ok in the end.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
If it's installed don't sweat it. Next time you replace the bb have a shop run a thread chaser in there. You'll be fine. I cross threaded a bb all the way in and the shop cleaned it up for me when it came time to replace. Not ideal, as I shouldn't have done it in the first place but it was ok in the end.
This.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Oh a few rounded threads shouldn't sting. Just wait until it's time for new bearings & you torque the linkage bolts by feel (who needs a torque wrench when you've been fine without one for the last 2.5 decades) and you apparently over tighten and spin the insert in your carbon frame.... That stings.

What stings even more...now you've got to buy that torque wrench on top of the repair costs...Similar situation explains my purchase of a BB thread chaser.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,327 Posts
bb threads on new frames can be surprisingly rough and paint-clogged. Some manufacturers do the thread chasing and facing on their frames before shipping, but others don't. I've been told that some who don't assume that something is going to get whacked during shipping, and it's better for chasing/facing to be done right before the build stage (to clean up any potential knocks from shipping) rather than before shipping, when the chased/faced surfaces might get damaged.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.