Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2004 Dam Jam at Fontana Village is scheduled for July 31st - August 1st. The only information I can find online about this event is the date, a contact name, and telephone number (Claude Owen 828-713-1602). Does anybody have more information about this race? Information about the course, competition categories, and times would be a big help in deciding whether or not to enter.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
I've looked everywhere too, including the Fontant website,Cane Creek website, and Active.com. No info anywhere except active lists the event as happening. To my knowledge, Claude is not doing any promoting this year; this is based on the fact I know he is not promoting the Night Train at Fontana, which will hopefully be a temporary only demise of a classic local event. So, I guess it will be on-site registration only...Peace

·
Big ring = No chainsuck
446 Posts
Any one know how to get there? What about camping? Size of field?
How much climbing?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dam Jam? Night Train?

Okay, the date has passed and since it was part of the Cane Creek Cup, it must have happened. Are the results posted anywhere? Does anybody have a report? The Night Train event is not on the Fontana Village calendar. Is it going to be held this year? If it is going to happen, what is the scheduled date and time?

·
Registered
26 Posts
AppMTB said:
Okay, the date has passed and since it was part of the Cane Creek Cup, it must have happened. Are the results posted anywhere? Does anybody have a report? The Night Train event is not on the Fontana Village calendar. Is it going to be held this year? If it is going to happen, what is the scheduled date and time?
The race did happen. It was a pretty decent course. They did not do a good job publicizing it. The results will be posted on canecreek eventually. There was not a very big showing. It could have been a great event. They had a downhill race on Sat and the XC on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Dam Jam/Night Train?

Dam Jam was fun, but the issue with lack of promotion is Claude Owen, the perennial promoter who did a great job for so many years, is getting out of the promotion business. The greater effect of this is that the Night Train did not happen this year and will not be happening under Claude's pervue in the future. BioWheels, LBS in Asheville, and the team I race for, is willing to start talking to Fontana about promoting this event. My question is, how much local interest would there be? For those who do not know, Night Train is a 12 hour race at Fontana traditionally using the more challenging race route of up Turkey Chute all the way, then back down through Lleweyellen (sp?). This has always been a mega-fun local event that, using the Fontana venue, could become a pretty big regional event with the right promotion...and Lord knows we need more of those. I'll probably post a separate thread on this topic, but would love to see a discussion start now. Peace.

·
Jabberwocky Jockey
809 Posts
I live in Johnson City, Tn and I have wanted to do the Nite Train for the last couple of years but info on it has always been scarce. There are at least a dozen or so in my immediate circle that would be interested in coming over to race provided it didn't interfere with other races that we regularly do, specifically 24 hours of Snowshoe (whatever it becomes in 2005) and the 24 hours of adrenalin.
Fontana is a great venue and I think if races/events were promoted better, you would get a good turn out. Just look at the Knobscorcher.

I'd be happy to help promote your events to the people in East Tn via our website www.ntmba.org

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.