Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into some mountain biking and just wondering what sort of trails we have up here in Dallas.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Lots of trails in Dallas and the surrounding area. Check out www.dorba2.com
the local mountain biking club's website. There's about 23 trails in the area that are maintained. If you are just starting out, there's definately some trails that you could go on that wouldn't scare the crap out of you or get you hurt. And then there a few trails that you would want to avoid until you built some skills. DORBA has beginner clinics about once or twice a months too, which are pretty good.

What part of town are you in and what kind of bike do you have?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in Frisco.

I haven't got a bike yet, I'm just scraping some money together right now and doing all of my research. I'm looking at a Rockhopper or a Trek 4300, maybe even a GT Avalanche.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Being in Frisco, you've got Arbor Hills about 5 miles south of you, Corinth Community Park to the west on the other side of the lake, and Erwin Park to the NE. All three are rather tame, but that's doesn't mean they aren't fun by any means, and make good places to get used to riding. Go a little further and there's plenty more to choose from.

Like bloodyknee mentioned, the DORBA site is a good place to start, esp. to meet up with and get others' opinions on their forum. The forum is the biggest benefit imo and you might consider joining DORBA if you find you dig mountain biking. The trail listings are ok, and the map shows most of the trails in the area, but not all of them (i.e. Corinth Comm. Park, et al.). To find the likes of Corinth and such, check out the link below and browse the map and listings there. Yeah, maybe I'm a touch biased. ;)

Given the nature of MOST of the trails up that way, and if your budget is limited as it seems it may be, don't worry about trying to get a full suspension; instead focus more on a hard tail, such as the 4300 that you mention.

Edit: I have been told by a friend of mine, who has an Avalance, that she loves it. :)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If you are still looking for a bike, check the Dorba site for something used. It will save you some money or put you on a better bike than if you bought new.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've also been checking Craigslist. Although I've been thinking about buying from a Shop to get the warranties and stuff. The 30 day tune up and stuff.

·
Registered
26 Posts
How tall are? what size bike are you looking for. I've got an older stumpjumper that I'd be willing to sell. Buy it mine or another used one for relatively cheap, spend the money to get a tune-up at a shop and you're into the sport for not much money.
I'm 6'1" and the bike fit me fine. I like my bikes a little small though. It's a large. 19.5 I think.

·
Registered
26 Posts
An xl should work for you. It's 21. My first bike was an xl stumpjumper and it was a little to big for me.
A 29er rolls over things easier according to everyone. I'm stuck in the dark ages. 26er single speed mtbike and fixed gear road

·
Life is Go0d!
891 Posts
I will be in Irving September 13th - 15th... on business, I am looking for trails around this area? I have been riding for years and have no problems riding anything. What is the local preferred trail in this area?

·
meh
1,213 Posts
Northshore is North of Irving on Lake Grapevine. Has from beginner/intermediate to expert (park at the madd shelter location and head east for easy, west for difficult). Prob the most popular trail among local riders.

Id also recommend south of Irving Oak Cliff Nature Preserve/Boulder/Big Cedar which are all in close proximity to one another

Those are pretty close to Irving, byt there are others if you are willing to drive a bit further

overall map
http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/index.php

·
Registered
112 Posts
My first bike when I got back into riding acouple of years ago was a GT Avalance 1.0. It was a great bike to get me going, held up to a lot of abuse (crashes) and I got a great deal on it. If you check the local shops you can sometimes find them at a good price. By the way, I still have it. My wife rides it as she is getting into riding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts