Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that ride Daley Ranch I thought you might be interested to know that the bottom section of Crest Trail has been re-routed. As you approach the last section and crest the hill right before you used to start down the rutted out loose, choppy, really fun section you get re-routed down about six to eight switch backs. A lot of work was put into the re-route.

·
Liaison
207 Posts
I think that's the trail that SDMBA worked on at our December 7th trailwork. The rangers up there are really ahead of the curve. They know that there are rules trails have to follow in order to be sustainable. This section was changed from a rutted fall line mess to a fun swoopy trail. Some of our crew even went out the next week to do more work on the section.

Trail work at Daley always rocks because we are almost always given the opportunity to build new trail. Keep an eye on the calendar and join us for the next one.

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
mtn_biker06 said:
I rode the trail on Sunday, 1/4, and it was re-routed, now I am worried the top section is going to be re-routed also.
The top won't be re routed because it is sustainable. The section in question was becoming very eroded and it would be very difficult to repair. Daley is one of the more biker friendly areas. I feel guilty because it is 1 mile from my house and I have never done any trailwork there. I promise I will come out.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Worried about the top section being re-routed? the new section is much more fun than the straight line rut run.

The re-route is nice and buff now but a couple of tight turns and off camber stuff i know the skidiots will chew up. There is a strange high side berm and a turn or 2 where a berm would have been nice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
A berm would've been nice

Then I guess we will see you at the next Daley work day. Daley Ranch Rangers truly are ahead of the curve. Like Gardner said every time we go there we work on NEW trail. The rangers there are as anxious to replace unsustainable fireroad as we are. They told me that they have the most problems with conflict and injuries on fireroads. Fireroads are way too steep and rutted with cobbles. The invitation for speed coupled with less control creates the recipe for an accident/injury.

Anyone that rides should really feel an obligation to attend these trail days. They are only four hours long, there is always some shwag, it is fun to see your accomplishment, and you are doing it for yourself. It doesn't hurt to learn trail building and the goodwill only translates into opening more quality mtn biking opportunities. If you want a kicker or a jump or a technical or incorporate a rock or rock garden do you think a ranger who doesn't mtn bike is going to do it? Your presence is what facilitates the chances they end up on a trail.

British Columbia trail days see 300 people, I just found out they had a trail day in San Luis Obispo with 200 volunteers, that must have been every mtn biker in town. We have how many bikers in SD? If we had those numbers it would still be a percentage of 1%. 200--300 turn outs would change the mtn bike culture in SD overnight not to mention the transformation of our service road slash fireroad "trails".

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
taffy15 said:
Then I guess we will see you at the next Daley work day. Daley Ranch Rangers truly are ahead of the curve. Like Gardner said every time we go there we work on NEW trail. The rangers there are as anxious to replace unsustainable fireroad as we are. They told me that they have the most problems with conflict and injuries on fireroads. Fireroads are way too steep and rutted with cobbles. The invitation for speed coupled with less control creates the recipe for an accident/injury.

Anyone that rides should really feel an obligation to attend these trail days. They are only four hours long, there is always some shwag, it is fun to see your accomplishment, and you are doing it for yourself. It doesn't hurt to learn trail building and the goodwill only translates into opening more quality mtn biking opportunities. If you want a kicker or a jump or a technical or incorporate a rock or rock garden do you think a ranger who doesn't mtn bike is going to do it? Your presence is what facilitates the chances they end up on a trail.

British Columbia trail days see 300 people, I just found out they had a trail day in San Luis Obispo with 200 volunteers, that must have been every mtn biker in town. We have how many bikers in SD? If we had those numbers it would still be a percentage of 1%. 200--300 turn outs would change the mtn bike culture in SD overnight not to mention the transformation of our service road slash fireroad "trails".
I am sold. When is the next one? It is funny you mention fire roads having more accidents. Now that I think about it everytime I have wiped out at Daley it has been on a fire road.

·
Registered
292 Posts
sandmangts said:
I am sold. When is the next one? QUOTE]

I don't think it's scheduled yet. But if you join SDMBA (only $20) you will always know when the next one is. Or you can at least sign up for free for their e-mail newsletter so you don't have to remember to check for trailwork coming up -- they'll tell you!

http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67

·
Registered
139 Posts
I haden't been to Daley Ranch in 5 years until two weekends ago. I didn't ride the crest trail two weeks ago, but did last weekend on Saturday. I noticed the reroute but didn't know it had just been done. Definitely a new route, as it was so smooth after all of the rain. There were some skid/slide marks from the group in front of ours. Pretty fun trail, unless someone was coming up from the bottom. I thought that Crest Trail was a one way trail, but no indication of this at the bottom.

+1 on the trail work!

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
OldDogDan said:
sandmangts said:
I am sold. When is the next one? QUOTE]

I don't think it's scheduled yet. But if you join SDMBA (only $20) you will always know when the next one is. Or you can at least sign up for free for their e-mail newsletter so you don't have to remember to check for trailwork coming up -- they'll tell you!

http://sdmba.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=67
Already a member, My spam filter at work blocks the emails. I have to change my info for my home address.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Some Pics

Here are some pics of the Crest Trail re-route. I went out last week to test out our work and see how everything handled the rain. The trail looked in good shape, but the middle section could use a few more berms and some bench cutting on the trail tread. Maybe we'll get to it the next time SDMBA gets out to Daley. The new section of trail was fun to ride in both directions. Thanks to the Daley Ranch Rangers for getting this approved and making this happen.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.