Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
slower than you
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To run in tomorrow's AZ Daily Sun (article already posted online tonight:http://azdailysun.com/news/local/article_38156f32-fefa-11de-992a-001cc4c03286.html)

"The Flagstaff man, horseback rider and former teacher known as the founder of the Arizona Trail died on Sunday following a yearslong battle with cancer.

Dale Shewalter was known as the force behind the creation of a hiking, horseback and biking trail that runs most of the length of the state, from the Mexico border near the Huachuca Mountains to the Utah border north of Jacob Lake.

A plaque commemorating his work stands in Buffalo Park.

He is survived by a wife and a son."

Dale was a good friend, a model teacher, and an all-around great guy. I've owned his old 1985 Specialized Expedition touring bike for years. I'm gonna try and take it out for a spin this weekend.

The extent of his contributions to trails in our state cannot fully be expressed with words, but they will surely endure. He will be missed in many ways.

·
Registered
961 Posts
another good one passes on

rockychrysler said:
To run in tomorrow's AZ Daily Sun (article already posted online tonight:http://azdailysun.com/news/local/article_38156f32-fefa-11de-992a-001cc4c03286.html)

"The Flagstaff man, horseback rider and former teacher known as the founder of the Arizona Trail died on Sunday following a yearslong battle with cancer.

Dale Shewalter was known as the force behind the creation of a hiking, horseback and biking trail that runs most of the length of the state, from the Mexico border near the Huachuca Mountains to the Utah border north of Jacob Lake.

A plaque commemorating his work stands in Buffalo Park.

He is survived by a wife and a son."

Dale was a good friend, a model teacher, and an all-around great guy. I've owned his old 1985 Specialized Expedition touring bike for years. I'm gonna try and take it out for a spin this weekend.

The extent of his contributions to trails in our state cannot fully be expressed with words, but they will surely endure. He will be missed in many ways.
It was a pleasure getting to know and work with Dale on the AZT the past 5 years or so. He had a great attitude and a positive outlook on life and such, he will be missed

·
Occidental Tourist
3,563 Posts
He did indeed leave quite a legacy and I've enjoyed every mile of it. Thank you Dale.

·
slower than you
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All of his many friends and admirers are invited and are most welcome to attend the services for the Flagstaff teacher and Arizona Trail founder Dale Shewalter.

Saturday, January 23rd, 8:45 a.m. (Service 8:45 - 11a.m, Reception 11am - 12pm)

Flagstaff, NAU - North Campus, Old Main Building 11, Ashurst Auditorium (Corner of Knoles and Tormey)

Cards/Thoughts can be sent to the Shewalter Family at 10845 N. Linda Lane Flagstaff, AZ 86004-1061

·
slower than you
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Due to the weather, Dale's celebration of life service has been postponed and rescheduled for the following date.

Sunday, January 31, 2010, at 11:00AM
Northern Arizona University
Old Main Bldg., Ashurst Auditorium

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.