Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This is the last switchback before Alameda.

Is this rideable, have you done it and if so, any advice? :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've done it two ways, nose pivot around to take the stairs. Or man up and go straight down. Just make sure no cars are coming. It bottoms out pretty good at the bottom, be ready for that.

·
carpe mañana
7,297 Posts
skyst3alth said:
I've done it two ways, nose pivot around to take the stairs. Or man up and go straight down. Just make sure no cars are coming. It bottoms out pretty good at the bottom, be ready for that.
The cars aren't coming anymore; that section of the road is closed now.

With good balance you don't need to do any pivots or hops, you can make that turn. Hopping in place while turning the bike is probably the easiest; nose pivot, definitely help.

As pointed out, you can just forget the switchback, feather your brakes and head straight down the slab; the very bottom, however, is a tad harsh in how it transitions to dirt.

_MK

G

·
Ride it! Advice: gravity does all the work, just don't look at anything you don't want to hit. Stay left and watch the slab/drop. The transition is barely there, so the ride out ends with a thud; watch those teeth.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
skyst3alth said:
Any footage? Do you have to jump the small gap or were you able to stick to the rock enough to ride around it?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Several of us in my riding group have done this several times each

We have always gone to the right, around the "drop" section. Agree with the staying off the brakes, staying back, and just gently roll it out at the bottom. Not as bad as it looks. On my 6" Nomad with the seat dropped it's not bad at all. It was slightly sketchy the first time I did it on my Fuel though.

I would, however, still recommend a spotter because sometimes the tour van for Dinosaur Ridge does comes by. I don't do it when I'm on my own for this reason. The sight line from the top is not great.

Also, you can stop at the turn and roll it down from there for a first time. After than, you can just roll right into it from the trail.

PS - If you (or anyone else) want to hook up with our group you would be more than welcome. We ride DR A LOT. Just PM me.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Nitecrwlr, I just PM'd you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Definitely a pucker factor the first run down, you can get going pretty fast so keep speed in check and hang it to the left! And as the rest have stated look where you WANT to go!
It's a cool feature up there. I, someone, we... all should fill in the tranny at the bottom...
DR is just the best winter ride around, could do it over and over! Somewhere on th MTBR is a good vid, search...

·
MFin' Princess
5,488 Posts
MK_ said:
With good balance you don't need to do any pivots or hops, you can make that turn.
^^^ what he said. ^^^ :thumbsup:

Photo credit: Me
Riding credit: The Great One

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
I TRIED it once!

Locked up by back tire and slid sideways. Proceeded to roll down the slab until just before the ledge I was somehow able to stop rolling. Bike just slid to a stop.

Definitely was a "puckerest" moment. Still laugh out loud every time I come to that corner and glance down:p

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
I've ridden that a couple times. Like the others said, you have to turn left slightly about halfway down to avoid the drop. Other than that, the grip is really good, it's just a mental commitment.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Ethan F, please don't fill in the bottom g out. I've had the tour bus guy give me a hard time for riding that line, as well as a roadie who threatened to tell JeffCo mountain bikers were cutting off that switchback. Let's not forget that there are fossils all around there. If we want to continue riding that line, we need to be low key about it. Altering that line in any way to make it more mtb friendly will only lead to it's eventual closing like other advanced lines on dakota. That line needs no work. There's no need to make it easier. The g out at the bottom is nothing.

·
Alt-132
1,564 Posts
slimat99 said:
Ethan F, please don't fill in the bottom g out. I've had the tour bus guy give me a hard time for riding that line, as well as a roadie who threatened to tell JeffCo mountain bikers were cutting off that switchback. Let's not forget that there are fossils all around there. If we want to continue riding that line, we need to be low key about it. Altering that line in any way to make it more mtb friendly will only lead to it's eventual closing like other advanced lines on dakota. That line needs no work. There's no need to make it easier. The g out at the bottom is nothing.
Agreed, if you can ride down that, the g out is no problem.

·
a dad
2,927 Posts
slimat99 said:
I have to agree with this guy... and try not to ride it when you see others.. my friend got berated by another mtn biker for riding it one day and while his delivery sucked, he had a point about why some trails get closed.. its a fun line for sure.. but so it trying to make the turn, love that switch back..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts