Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the general page, and thought here might get some more passionate response, so here goes!
I currently own a Jamis Komodo hardtail, 2001 model and love it, but want a FS setup. I dream of a 5 spot, but reality hits every time I get ready to drop $3500 down on it. So here is my question, what do you think of the Jamis 3.0 xlt at rbikes for 599. Seems to me like a great deal for a good 5 inch frame from my research. I could put a new minute 3 fork on as well and just transfer my old components over, saving thousands. Am I going to be disappointed and eventually upgrade to the 5 spot, or is the Jamis as good as some say? I know you can't compare Jamis to Turner, but taking $$$ into account, maybe you can. Thanks, I'm torn between two options. By the way, I also own a Jamis Comet road bike, awesome as well!

·
Singletrack Addict!!!
913 Posts
If you like the fox shock go for the xlt 3, if not get the 2, you can find it cheaper. In my opinion the swinger is more adjustable, and paired with the minute 3, better. I have an xlt 2, great bike for the price, see other reviews/threads and you'll see. She does not compare's to a Turner thou, but it will give a it a run for your money. My choice was also a 5 spot, but due to $ at the time chose the xlt. Don't regret it, period. Built up a great bike for about a fraction of the cost of a 5 spot build. Now I'm looking to the Intense 6.6 or Turner 6 pack (Santa Cruz Nomad maybe). Haven't seen better value than the XLT.

·
Registered
55 Posts
SF Jakey said:
I posted this on the general page, and thought here might get some more passionate response, so here goes!
I currently own a Jamis Komodo hardtail, 2001 model and love it, but want a FS setup. I dream of a 5 spot, but reality hits every time I get ready to drop $3500 down on it. So here is my question, what do you think of the Jamis 3.0 xlt at rbikes for 599. Seems to me like a great deal for a good 5 inch frame from my research. I could put a new minute 3 fork on as well and just transfer my old components over, saving thousands. Am I going to be disappointed and eventually upgrade to the 5 spot, or is the Jamis as good as some say? I know you can't compare Jamis to Turner, but taking $$$ into account, maybe you can. Thanks, I'm torn between two options. By the way, I also own a Jamis Comet road bike, awesome as well!
lol... I recently went through the same delima & bought a XLT 2 frameset from them - so I'll throw in my 2 cents for ya ~

Is the Jami a good bike - well, I just got mine built and a few rides now (still tuning in though) & so far I'm pretty happy with my choice. My "dream bike" was a Yeti 575 & like you the cost continually made me second guess, 'cause ~2K for a frame is pretty pricey ya know. So will the dakar make you "forget" about your Turner? Probably not. I still think about the Yeti - BUT I'm happy & wealthier with the Jami. This is really a hard question to answer for other people - bike vs cost. I don't race, I ride. I've ridden for a long time. I like the Jami so far. I guess a great deal of this might have to do with what you're planning to do with it. It's quick, it's responsive, so far I'd say it lives for tight single track, but can take some hits @ speed. If ya live out west with wide open downhills & you can only have 1 bike, this might not be it. I think it gets twitchy above... 35-40, but that's the trade for what it does @ 3.5 mph, further more the twitchy nature isn't really objectionable, but it does keep ya awake. But top of the mountain-base runs are what I have a Stinky for, & it's unfair to compare the two that way (it'd be like saying the Jamis climbs like a squirel compared to the Kona - all too true, take anything out of it's design element & it sucks)

So - Is the "deal" a rbikes a deal? I think I'd be more inclined to say it's fair rather than a "good" deal - I rationalized it this way - If I had paid full retail for just the swinger shock, I got an awfully nice frame for less than $100. Would I do it again? ...yes, I would. Money is a factor in everything - for me the money I saved over the Yeti was worth it, but the Jamis hasn't made me forget about it. Should you do it? That's an impossible question for me to answer for you. Snob appeal is something to factor in as well - people riding a Turner (or Yeti, or Marin, or S.C., or...) will sneer at your new "low dollar" ride in the parking lot before your ride, but they're very hard pressed to gap or drop ya on the trail, which give ya the pleasure of asking 'em what was wrong with their 5K bike afterwards, I mean there must've been something wrong with it right? "I mean ya couldn't drop me on this "bargin basement" Jamis & I'm sure that extra $3000 you spent must be worth something... So what was "wrong" with your bike? ...again ...today? lol...
Like the other guy who posted here - frankly I wanted the swinger shock, so I bought the 2.0, for me the extra 100 for the Fox's ability to vary travel wasn't worth the money. If I'd wanted a 3" bike, I would've bought a 3" bike. PLUS the slate gray paint on the 3 can't hold a candle to the pretty candy red mettalic on mine! lol... Perhaps if you lived back east the Fox might be worth the dough, but so far I'm happy & the SPV platform is a god send over the pro-pedal I've ridden on other bikes.(<purely IMO)
Richards bikes packing leaves alot to be desired - They take your frameset, and put it in a box. That's it. No packing material, no bubble wrap, no nothing. Just how my frame got here without being scraped I scratched all to *ell, I'll never know. FYI-it wasn't a "freak" shipment either - they sent me the wrong frameset the 1st time (a XC expert, not an XLT) & it arrived "packed" exactly as my XLT did - frame in a box. To Rbikes credit, they made good on their mistake and sent my frame to me express & appologized profusely for their mistake. The frames are floor models they're parting out - the paint will be marred where the f. derailuer mounts. Another annoying thing is that they do/did put assinine stickers on the rear triangle "rbikes.com". Pisses me off when people put their stickers on "my" bike! 15 minutes & they were gone, but the potential for paint scratching it there while you're pulling them off because it's all individual letters & they are STUCK on there!
One nice thing is your frameset will arrive with the OEM WTB headset installed. I assumed my frame would come bare, so I bought a CC ZS-6 in anticipation, & was surprised to see the WTB in there already, I replaced it anyway, but an FYI for you.

SO - the question is should you buy one? I can't answer that for you. It's a fair deal on a nice bike IMO. As with any frameset purchase - If you need to buy any other major components to make your bike... you're probabably better off shopping for a complete bike to begin with (5 or 6 for the frame + 5 for the fork + 5 for brakes = I should've just bought a bike)

Is the Dakar the best bike available - no. Is it a good bike - yes. Why is it the "Bike of the year"? or "Editors choice"? or get glowing reviews? Go to Jamis's web site & read all the magazine tests & reviews ~ they all say the same thing if you READ them - it's a good bike with an excellant parts spec for the price. Did you understand that? "excellant parts spec for the price".... We're not buying the parts, just the frame. It's a "good" frame, makes a "good" bike, at a "fair" price. It's not my Yeti, but I only paid 1/4 for the frameset that I would've for the Yeti frameset & it's much, much closer to the Yeti than 1/4 IMO.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention - If you do decide to go for it & need something to build your frameset, talk to the guys at rbikes. As I mentioned they're "parting out" the bikes, & can cut you a better deal on the OEM parts then you'll find anywhere else (I think you mentioned forks didn't you?)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I soaked 'em down with WD40 & peeled them off with lots of patience.

WD40 usually works pretty well on just about any sticker adhesive, but like I said, those rbike letters were STUCK on there & almost impervious. I also had to use an xacto knife to lift the edge on a couple of them (which is where the potential scratch problem came in)

Good Luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.