Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've missed the sale for Nomad on Chainlove, so now I can get either Apex or Nomad for the same price - while Apex is still for sale. I don't mind getting a bigger pack, but wonder if it's too big/bulky? Don't have these packs in stores nearby, so can' go and try them, unfortunately.
I'm not really planning on carrying a lot of stuff, just the usuals - tools, first aid kit, extra layer, maybe FF and pads.. maybe a body armor. I guess having some extra space doesn't hurt, unless it comes at the expense of more important things.
So, in short, my question is - if anyone uses(d) both, does Apex feel bigger / less comfortable / hotter than Nomad ?
Uhm, and I'm an average-sized guy, I guess, 5'11" 180lbs.
Thanks !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have not had my hands on the Apex pack, but I do use the Nomad. I pack all my bike gear in the front pocket (pump, tool, first aid kit, ect). With a full 100oz bladder the main pocket still has plenty of room for extra layers and lunch. The pack rides nice and cool, don't even notice it most of the time. I have never used the armor straps, but I do like that I can stuff my helmet the the pack when heading to the trail head.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I guess Nomad would be enough for my rides.. Prob. gonna pick it up unless Apex comes up on Chainlove.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I use an Apex. Mainly in the winter when I need the space for extra layers, gloves, etc. I'm only 5' 6" and it's never felt too large or uncomfortable. I took it with me hiking last week in NM and it worked great as a day/hydration pack. You probalby won't go wrong with either one. Just figure out which size you want. I've never seen a bad review on any of their products. I think Dakine makes really nice gear and I would definately buy again.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have an Apex and I love it. I am 5'6" as well and it feels just fine. I like the space it has. Besides using it on my bikes, I use it as a backpack for classes and a day pack for hiking trips. Dakine makes a good product so I don't think you can go wrong with either. for the money, I had to go with the Apex (I got mine for $80) and I am glad I did.

I love mine for the winter as well since I there is 1) room for more water 2) room to put extra layers 3)room for snacks and 4) I can strap my full face helmet to it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Ive used 3 different hydro packs in the past year or so(Apex not being one of them). The Nomad is the one I'm using now. If I ever need a new one for any reason, it'll be another Nomad. It's pretty much perfect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts