Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it's a slightly under the radar kinda thing in Canada, I thought I'd mention that this year's Dakar rally (through Argentina and Chile) just started. It involves ATVs, motorbikes, cars and trucks and tearing up trails for no real purpose so it won't be for everyone but I'm glued to it every year. This year even has the most Canadians competing to date (only one has ever even completed this mother of all stage races :eek: ). :thumbsup:

Follow it live here.

Here's a wrap up of yesterday's stage:

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OLN used to cover it and Vs. still does but I guess we'd rather watch Mantracker way up here in Canada... :madman: :madmax:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Looks like crazy fun...don't know why but I always thought the Dakar was a stage race held in the deserts across northern Africa...and that the Baja was its equivalent on this side of the Atlantic...

·
Ms. Monster
1,812 Posts
tdotrider said:
Looks like crazy fun...don't know why but I always thought the Dakar was a stage race held in the deserts across northern Africa...and that the Baja was its equivalent on this side of the Atlantic...
It used to be in Africa (Paris to Dakar) until terrorist issues caused its cancellation two years ago. Then they moved it.

I live in fear that Mr. Monster will want to do this someday. That and the Iditarod.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
watched it for years, love the oddball entries and classes

hacks! (also trucks, vintage vehicles, etc)

though the coverage tends to be more on the big name players.

there is also a group which follows the race unsupported... now that takes guts...

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The trucks and quads really get the short end of the coverage-stick but both are just as awesome and bad-ass as the bikes and the buggies. :thumbsup:

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Alright, this seems like a good opportunity for somebody to explain to me why they race the trucks. They just seem like a terrible "tool for the job." I can only assume they remain, based long standing tradition. Explanation?

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
According to Wikipedia, trucks have competed in the Dakar in all but two of the races. Since very similar trucks are used as support vehicles, something tells me that the support drivers started racing each other to the check points and the organizers just decided to open it up as a class. :D

Don't be fooled by their looks, these trucks are just as purpose-built as the buggies and bikes and are more than capable of handling the terrain. :)

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On a vaguely related note, this thing is totally awesome (in an very ecologically and environmentally unsound way... :nono: ).:thumbsup: :D

·
Muskoka
3,483 Posts

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
With all the distress among the other big names, they've all but crowned Despres as this year's champion on the bike. All he has to do is keep the rubber side down to the end. :eek:

Allez Carlos! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.