Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the warranty on these bikes? Also, are they made in the USA? I couldnt find this info on the web site. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, anyone know a rough weight of the XLT 2.0?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Durability Issues

I have a friend with a 03 XLT 2.0 that I witnessed crack at the junction of the chainstay and bottom bracket. When he warrantied it, a couple of dealers said it was common for the 03 to break at that junction and the issue had been fixed for the 04 so they replaced it with an 04 rear triangle. The bike was(is?) a great value, but IMO, at the expense of durability. When you inspect the frame, notice the thin amount of aluminum used at the BB junctions. I think its intended use is for XC/singletrack rather than as a trailbike where you might do some drops/jumps. The fact that it has ~5in of travel makes some think that it would make a good trailbike/aggressive XC bike. You can use it for that purpose, but I would worry about frame failure. It also depends on the wieght of the rider. On the bright side, if it does break, jamis seems ready to warranty even if it takes a little bit of time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
03' Xlt 1.0

dostres said:
I have a friend with a 03 XLT 2.0 that I witnessed crack at the junction of the chainstay and bottom bracket. When he warrantied it, a couple of dealers said it was common for the 03 to break at that junction and the issue had been fixed for the 04 so they replaced it with an 04 rear triangle. The bike was(is?) a great value, but IMO, at the expense of durability. When you inspect the frame, notice the thin amount of aluminum used at the BB junctions. I think its intended use is for XC/singletrack rather than as a trailbike where you might do some drops/jumps. The fact that it has ~5in of travel makes some think that it would make a good trailbike/aggressive XC bike. You can use it for that purpose, but I would worry about frame failure. It also depends on the wieght of the rider. On the bright side, if it does break, jamis seems ready to warranty even if it takes a little bit of time.
I have a '03 XLT 1.0 (same frame as 2.0) and have done quite about 20 4' & 5' drops with no signs of trouble yet. Also countless 3' but I weigh only 150#. The 03' and 04' rear triangles are a different design (horst to non-horst+SPV). Did your friend get a new SPV shock, too? But I agree that the rear does not look beefy enough to handle anything larger than 5' especially for a heavier rider or a crooked landing.

·
Registered
70 Posts
dostres said:
I have a friend with a 03 XLT 2.0 that I witnessed crack at the junction of the chainstay and bottom bracket. The bike was(is?) a great value, but IMO, at the expense of durability. When you inspect the frame, notice the thin amount of aluminum used at the BB junctions. .
Looks like you've noticed the same thing I learned. Check out my post about my broken chainstay here

·
dust2dust
33 Posts
I've got a 2004 XLT 2.0

joshua_msu said:
What is the warranty on these bikes? Also, are they made in the USA? I couldnt find this info on the web site. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, anyone know a rough weight of the XLT 2.0?
Frame warranty is lifetime ... they're made overseas in Taiwan or something. I've got the 21" and it comes in at about 32 lbs. I was willing to sacrifice a little weight (on the bike) in exchange for a frame that would fit me and a bike that wouldn't crumble under me. I figure I can lose 5 pounds around my belly and then the bike only weighs 27 lbs!! Sweet!

Are you looking to buy? I'm in Colorado Springs. If you're anywhere close I'll hook you up with a great guy to buy from ... Blane at Bike Pro Mobile www.bikepro-mobile.com

·
Heads up Flyboy!!
3,165 Posts
lbs

joshua_msu said:
The Jamis line is made in Taiwan. They have a lifetime frame replacement ( 5 yrs, I believe and something like a $100 crash replacement). The frame of the Dakar XLT's are made of Kenisium which is a alliuminum alloy and wieghs about 6.5 lbs. The 2.0 as a complete bike wieghs in at 29lbs per Jamis, a little under 31 lbs per Mountain BIke Action, which gave the 2.0 a rave review this month. For the parts spec, you can't beat this bike and from what MBA says its a great all around trail handler. And regardless of some having frame failure, all bikes break. I've seen Gary Fishers to Santa Cruz's break. By the way, My 2.0 comes in this Friday!!!

Jeremy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts