Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will more than likely be picking up one of these bikes, and just have a concern regarding the rear shock and fork.
Since the 2005 Manitou Swinger 3-way shock and Minute 1:00 fork are SPV, do they work better with this style of frame? Or are the Fox Float R's for this year a definite upgrade? Thanks.

Aaron

·
Registered
46 Posts
2005 vs 2006

While Fox suspension is typically better, the 06 XLT 1.0 Fox shock & Fox fork do not have stable platform valving. The 2006 XLT 1.0 is a very nice bike for the $, but with that amount of travel (5") that bike does not pedal as efficient as the 2005 with the SPV. I have a '04 with SPV and can verify that it pedals very nice, climbs great and has no bob.
Also the 2006 XLT 1.0 does not have the "Kinesium" main frame. Kinesium is much stronger than 7005 series Aluminum. The 2.0 & 3.0 XLTs have the Kinesium Main frames and the 2005 1.0 also shares the same frame. I would go for the 2005.

Steve

·
Beemer2
125 Posts
I have a 06 XLT 1.0 and according to my Fox manual it has SPV which is preset at the factory as per the manufacturers requirements, it is not adjustable. I have "0" rear end pumping when hitting the pedals hard. The Fox fork needs nothing, it is sweet as is.
CORRECTION: The Fox has factory preset Pro Pedal, not SPV, it's even better!

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Depends...

06, fos sus[ension... Fox fork is great if you're a small guy... its all air, therefore if you're a bigger guy it will give you issues.
That is why i bought the 2.0, and also for component reasons... much better on 2.0 then 1.0
It's quite a dramatic jump frm Alivio level hubs to XT from one model to the next... anyway, also keep in mind that 05's seem to have major pivot bearing issues, 06's they obviously put better bearings in their pivots.

·
whatever
42 Posts
ya, i have an 06 1.0 and works great for me. but like wickerman said, im light. im 15 years old and 120 lbs. the only troubles that i ve had were my fault. me being my stupid self, i had made a dirt jump to flat for bmx. i tried it and it hurt like a motha, so i decided to try it on my mt. bike. and when i landed the derailleur hanger snapped and sent the derailleur into the spokes. and you can be assured that there was no way that it was going to be fixed. got a new one in about two weeks and i was good to go.

·
Banned
3,408 Posts
Thomson4Life said:
i'd go for the '06 because of the fox componentry. manitou's a piece of junk...
have to disagree with you there... everyone is entitled to there own opinion, and yes I was a manitou hater as I mentioned, but the minute fork peforms amazingly. And the swinger 4 way, just awesome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.