Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day I noticed an aweful sounding creak/click coming from somewhere on my 2000 Dakar. So I started stripping and cleaning anything that moves. I pulled the pivots from back by the rear wheel. One of the washers that sits between the chainstay and the hanger was broken...a big chunk was busted off from the inside of the washer. On the other side one of them was noticably worn. So I went searching for some replacements. They appear to be simple brass washers (based on color and appearance). The only match I could find were made of fiber. They seem pretty tough and durable. They are the same diameter and thickness but I'm wondering if they're the proper thing to use. Could there be any adverse effects of using a different materiel for those washers?
Eventually I intend to replace the entire set of pivots/bushings with factory stuff. I called the regional Jamis-suggested guy but he's not yet returned my call. Wondering if anyone has found non-jamis suppliers for those bits and pieces.

·
Registered
161 Posts
non-Jamis suppliers....

are your only hope for replacing those pieces. Jamis is worthless for suppying repair parts.

I would soak one of those fiber washers in some water and see what happens. If it swells up, they might not be the best bet. Otherwise, they would probably be OK. I just went to the Home Depot and bought some brass washers, drilled them out to 10mm, then ran them back and forth over a flat file till they were of the right thickness. Nice thing about that approach, although a bit time consuming, is that you can get them to fill the space perfectly without any lateral slop, making for a slightly tighter rear end then the stock ones

They way those washers get the chunk chipped out of them is by not being attentive when tightening the two halves of the Horst pivot bolt; make sure those washers are centered in the hole, or the bolt will shear a chunk of washer off when you tighten down. You want a washer on both sides of the dropout plate.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll try the water-soak thing to see what happens. From the way the old washer was sheared off I think the previous owner must have had a misalligned washer when he last replaced/serviced them...the chunk was bitten out of the middle.

I'll try these fiber washers for a few rides then pull one side off and see how well they've held up.

Thanks for the input.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts