Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Well, it's finally done. The Jamis Team frame has moved on to new owners.

Was a great, if a bit small, frame. Light, nimble, and lots of fun. Had it for several years and the frame never let me down. Had it on Light-Bikes down to it's best weight, down to the low 23's and it was still a rideable bike for a 200 pound midwest rider.

Was seriously considering replacing it with a second Jamis, one in the right size for me, but ended up going with a Rocky instead.

Lots of great rides on the Jamis, heck the second ride on the frame and the air shock saves my behind - a jump I didn't even see snuck up on me. The Specialized I was on before the Jamis would have bucked me.

Great bike, hoping it serves the new owners well.

So who else has a Dakar pic?

JmZ

·
Registered
27 Posts
I Just retired my old Jamis Dakar... It was a great bike.

I just retired my old Jamis Dakar Expert (1999). It was a great frame. It never let me down, once I put locktight on the horst-link pivot bolts. This bike had character, the shock mount on the frame creaked like old bed springs if they were not greased regularly.
It rode best with the Cane Creek AD-12 that replaced the awful Fox Float (bucking mule) air shock. It only took 1 month of riding for the Fox Float to leak its nitrogen into the oil and that was it for damping control! With the AD-12 it had plenty of rebound control. As far as weight??? My frame was one of the heavier non-easton tube sets, so it weighed somewhere near 6.5 lbs with shock. I was thrilled when I got it down to less than 30 lbs with the large volume, largely knobbed tires I prefer (It weighed 29 lbs on a large industrial balance beam type scale... :p )

Anyway, I will remember it as my first fully suspended bike.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts