Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Ski during the off-season
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at '03 & '04 models. Looks like the '04's have sealed bearings rather than bushings in the susp. Also, I have read some of the other postings regarding the cracks in some of the '03 Dakar frames. Thus, I was seriously considering one of the '04 frames.

I have read that the '03's had a true horst. suspension but the '04's are just a 'single pivot' design. From looking at pictures of both, I cannot tell too much difference in the frames -- I can see the difference in location of where the rear triangle of the '04 connects just above the BB. Is there much difference in the actual ride of between the '03 and '04 frames?

Thx.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Are you referring to the regular Dakar cross country frame or the longer travel XLT frame?

There is an mtbr poster name Fonseca who put in a lot of time on his Dakar and knows their pros and cons pretty well.

I rode a XC Dakar for about half a season and liked it. It was an 03 model with the Horst like link before they switched out the rear end design. If I recall correctly, it was the XLT frames there were cracking at chainstays. The XC frames didn't have any widespread known issues like that to my knowledge.

I can't comment as to how the 04 rides compared to the 03 frames because I haven't ridden the 04's.

·
mtbr "member"
719 Posts
Only discerning butts will know...

journey said:
I was looking at '03 & '04 models. Looks like the '04's have sealed bearings rather than bushings in the susp. Also, I have read some of the other postings regarding the cracks in some of the '03 Dakar frames. Thus, I was seriously considering one of the '04 frames.

I have read that the '03's had a true horst. suspension but the '04's are just a 'single pivot' design. From looking at pictures of both, I cannot tell too much difference in the frames -- I can see the difference in location of where the rear triangle of the '04 connects just above the BB. Is there much difference in the actual ride of between the '03 and '04 frames?

Thx.

Both the XC and XLT versions of the Dakar series have lost their Horst link at the rear drop out. As for the breakage, I've heard that issue is now resolved. And looking at my new Chainstay for my 03 XLT, it does look sturdier.

As for is there a difference in ride? I think the real "difference" you'll feel between the 03 and 04 rear suspension would be more apparent if neither had a stable platform / swinger rear shock in place. But with the new shock technology, it'll be pretty hard to really tell the difference back to back (if the 03 had an spv shock on it as well).

The difference you MAY feel is the 04's have a slacker steering angle. The 03's had a more XC - ish 70 or 71 deg and I believe the 04's have a 68-69 deg angle. (I think). Definitely more nimble than my Giant AC1

I really like my 03 as a "aggressive XC" bike. Even though I have a new thicker rear chainstay, I've lost confidence in the frame. But I plan to keep it just because I love the ride. I did end up buying a Giant AC1 recently while waiting for my chainstay and converting the XLT to a more XC set up.

REEK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts