Dainese 3X Armor

Dainese is an Italian company, and is a well known brand in the world of motorcycle road racing (I wear a Dainese Zen motorcycle jacket on my daily commute to work). They have been around for over 35 years, and have always been known for their excellent quality (albeit at a price). Most of their mountain biking products are oriented towards the gravity racing set and their most popular product for DH racers is their Safety Jacket.

I got the chance to test out the latest Dainese 3X Elbow Guards and 3X Knee Guards recently, and they performed superbly. I REALLY did test them out! I went down in a rock garden section, and the armor held up nicely. The pads did not slip or move one bit, and are no worse for wear, and most importantly, neither was I (see picture).

armor scratches

The fit (the knee and elbow guards only come in LG or MD, no SM) is good, although since I am a bit...short of femur...the medium size knee guards were a bit long, but nothing that felt uncomfortable. The cinching mechanism is a set of velcro straps (two straps on the calf and one above the knee, for leg armor....two straps on the forearm and one above the elbow, for the elbow guards). These were very easy to get on and off without having to remove your shoes or gloves.

For the Norcal summer weather, these pads were not overly hot, although I did not wear them well climbing, and only put them on during the DH portions of my trails.

I would strongly recommend this set of armor. While they are not the cheapest armor out there....protective body armor is not really something you want to cheap out on. The cost of the 3X Elbow Guards is $55.00 and the cost of the 3X Knee Guards is $79.00

I give them 5 flamin' chili peppers overall:

And 4 flamin' chili peppers for value:

Dainese Website:
https://www.dainese.com/

Shope the Dainese D-Store (motorcycle, ski&snowboard, mountain bike, watersports) :
https://www.dainese.com/store/usa/index.asp

From the manufacturer:

Dainese 3X Elbow Guards

Description:
- Articulated 3-plates elbow protector

Materials:
- Hard plate material:
Polypropylene
- Soft padding material:
Perforated polyethylene

SHOCK
- Composite protectors
- Soft paddings
- Homologation CE EN 1621.1

MICROCLIMA
- ultra-ventilated soft padding

ERGONOMIA
- Closing/Adjusting system: 3 adjustable straps

Dainese 3X Knee Guards

Description:
Composite ventilated protection divided into three parts for the knees, and upper shins in polypropylene and soft polyester padding inside. Adjustment strap fastening system. CE EN 1621/1 homologation.

Materials:
- Hard plate material:
Polypropylene
- Soft padding material:
Perforated polyethylene

SHOCK
- Composite protectors
- Soft paddings
- Homologation CE EN 1621.1

MICROCLIMA
- Ultra-ventilated soft padding

ERGONOMIA