Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got some questions regarding training week based on Annual Training Plan generated from Training Peaks. As a bit of background, I’m racing The Pioneer in the first week of December. It’s a 6-day MTB stage race over approx. 450km with 12,000m of climbing. I’ve never raced this distance or stage racing before, although I’ve completed 100km MTB day races (approx. 6-7 hours of racing).

Based on my ATP and past training, I know I can sustain around 700-750 TSS per week during base and build periods without exploding. My general plan is based on 3 weeks on and 1 week rest (about 650 TSS week 1, 700 week 2, 750 week 3, 450 week 4). I also have 2 x 40 min strength sessions in the gym planned. However, I’m struggling to break up my training during the week on a daily basis.

I have about 10-12 hours available weekly at the moment due to work and family commitments. Appreciate any thoughts on how to break it up. My current thoughts are:

Monday – 45 min easy commute to work (30 TSS) + Gym this day.

Tuesday – Interval session (1 hour) then steady z2 (1 hour) for total of approx.. 120-150 TSS).

Wednesday – 45 min easy commute to work (30 TSS)

Thursday – Interval session (1 hour = 70 TSS) + 45 min easy commute to work (30 TSS) + Gym this day.

Friday – 45 min easy commute to work (30 TSS).

Sat / Sun = 2-3 hour steady z2+ ride each day (approx. 120-150+ TSS per day = 300+ TSS for weekend).

Other than trying to build up the weekend rides in duration as I get closer to the event (4-5 hours per day), would you change anything?

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I would knock off the intensity on the weekends and add some extra length. Try and make those rides 3-4hrs in length. The gain you get from that extra volume is significant.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks LMN. Yea the plan is to increase the volume in the weekends. I guess I'm just wondering if I need any additional mid week rides. Or changes in intensity for those rides.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Seems to me you need more time to get to 700TSS. I usually need between 13-16 hours.

13-14 with 3 hard sessions a week. ~16 hours for the polarized approach which is 2 hard sessions a week.

I'm 50+ and it's tough to get to 700TSS even while getting all the sleep I want, with a 2 big -1 small week pattern.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The most recent Trainer Road podcast talks a lot about training for a mountain bike stage race, and there's a lot of good detail there. At some point you may consider back to back hard days, just to get your body used to working hard for consecutive days (with adequate rest after obviously).

1,328 Posts
Thanks LMN. Yea the plan is to increase the volume in the weekends. I guess I'm just wondering if I need any additional mid week rides. Or changes in intensity for those rides.
anecdotal reply but I really seem to get a lot out of back to back (to back) harder-ish days (as Cal_len1) mentioned. A typical week during a build looks something like this...

Monday - off/Yoga
Tues - over-under ranging from Tempo/SS to LT/z6 as the period progresses ~100tss
Wed - long tempo (such as 2x20) or bursts from Tempo to SS ~120tss
Thurs - more or less Tuesday's stuff
Friday - off/AR/Yoga
Saturday - usually the harder of the two weekend days with periods of Tempo/SS remainder at z2 (closer to z3 than z1). Maybe climbing for 90min at tempo/SS cumulative.
Sunday - z2

Like Ponch, I tend to need ~13hrs to get to 700+ tss unless near the end of the period and things are at a much higher intensity.

if I have time and am feeling it I'm free to add z2 to the end of any of the workouts so long as they don't interfere with my ability to complete those following.

also, around a month out from the event I head out for a long weekend for at least 3 days of bigger rides (250+ tss) but I try to keep them around 5hrs and 300tss else it takes me too long to recover but the fitness manifests ~3weeks later and I'm (generally) flying.

if ya don't have a coach, consider drafting up your plan and then running it by one (for a fee) as a consult. perhaps check in w/ them periodically. Most will accommodate this and you might save yourself some trouble by doing so.

Last thing, consider trying out some group road rides. Find one that pushes you a bit but doesn't kill ya - maybe a "B" ride that regroups at certain points. Good way to get some high quality time, check out some new routes and meet some like minded people. If you need more effort, take longer pulls at the front (or sit in the back and don't over exert yourself).

just one of many views on this. ymmv

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.