·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,425 Posts
Portage Glacier ride

highres_457257584.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Where exactly was this ride or is this? I'm new here to Anchorage and have been riding studded tires on my mtb until my Fatback on order shows up. We were out at Portage this weekend. Drove a few side roads and walked the lake. Riding around the lake is something I want to do soon as the bike arrives. We also stopped at Bird Creek (?) campground...signs there said there's a 13 mile trail along the coast I plan to ride as well.

Thanks for any insight or help. Thanks.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,425 Posts
Where exactly was this ride or is this? I'm new here to Anchorage and have been riding studded tires on my mtb until my Fatback on order shows up. We were out at Portage this weekend. Drove a few side roads and walked the lake. Riding around the lake is something I want to do soon as the bike arrives. We also stopped at Bird Creek (?) campground...signs there said there's a 13 mile trail along the coast I plan to ride as well.

Thanks for any insight or help. Thanks.
It's a short ride, but it was very adventurous because we couldn't see more than a few hundred feet until we got to the glacier, which was mostly in the clear. Only 3 miles one way if you go direct. Start at the parking lot at the lake where the stairs are and go straight back until you see the glacier. With our cold weather, the ice should be good. If we get a bunch of warmer weather, then I'd look around for some reports, but at this point it's solid and all sorts of people are riding out, skiing out, walking out there. A studded MTB will make it right now because most of the snow has been scoured off.

You can't ride the bird to gird coastal trail right now because of the avalanche closure. It's in multiple avalanche paths. Plenty of trails here in Anchorage though! Check trailforks or mtbproject.com for a few insights, also the cycling routes function on google maps and there are some maps for the STA trails in Kincaid and Hilltop, just search for them (and remember to stay off of ski-only trails).

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,425 Posts
I am not sure why but somehow that looks like fun. Whats the avg temp on a ride like that?
This one started at 6, ended up maybe in low teens. I was cold because I prepared for 31 degrees, which might have been a weather station in a pass or something (inversion). So I was a bit cold due to not having quite the right outer gear. Usually most of our rides are in the 20s or teens, sometimes zero and a bit into the negatives. No problem with the right gear and usually takes less clothing than most people realize, because you need breathability and your core generates a lot of heat. You dress like an XC skier, not a DH skier.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,425 Posts
101 - 114 of 114 Posts