Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Resident Bigfoot Expert
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking the wifeomatic up to Dahlonega for a relaxing weekend this coming weekend. While in the area, I am hoping to get her to ride some with me. She is VERY new to mountain biking and has only ridden some old double track forestry roads thus far. As to not turn her away from the sport, I am trying not to push her too fast.

Can anyone recommend a good, easy ride up around Dahlonega? Something family friendly (even though we don't have kids) might be good. If that is not available, something with nice scenery would be good as well. I find that if there are "pretty" things to look at, she is less likely to comment on the pain in her legs, etc.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

-GT

·
Having a nice day!
1,422 Posts
The Montgomery Creek loop near Camp Merrill is pretty beginner friendly. It is doubletrack, but I hear it has a nice waterfall (that I missed when I rode it). The singletrack up there can be demanding so it certainly isn't where I would take a beginner...unless you don't want them riding with you again! Lots of FS loops up there too that aren't technically demanding, but you'll know you are in the mountains.

·
MTB Tandem Nut
727 Posts
You could also try riding from the game check station up FR77 up to Turner creek, turn right down Turner Creek to FR 28 back to the FR77. I've got it mapped out for the book revision, whenever that will be. Montgomery Creek is also good, but a bit longer.

·
Resident Bigfoot Expert
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the info. We ended up on Bull Mountain and FR28. We entered FR28 from the Nimblewill Church area and rode out about 5 miles at which point my wife was done. I can't wait to get back up there and put in some more miles. The forestry roads are, obviously, zero in terms of technical riding but they are shady, decently maintained, have some nice longer hills (I am a roadie as well), and you can really cover some ground. Additionally, the Dahlonega area was very nice - we will definitely make a return trip.

I can upload my GPS logs if anyone wants to see the route we picked.

Again, thanks for the help!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.