Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6' 3" about 210, the issue I am having is with tires rolling over on me....definitely does not instill confidence in corning!

I have an Intense Recluse (fits my 36" inseam great!)...running tubeless in Southern California (dry, rocky, sandy over hard terrain for conditions)

Originally came with Maxxis High Roller II - I freakin hated them, easily rolled them when cornering....lasted two rides and I had to swap!

Lately I've been riding with Schwable Hans Dampf in the front and Schwable Rock Razer in the back. I love the tires and the setup and maybe because they are older (still have great tread) that's why the are rolling over so easy when cornering.

I have a Maxxis Minion DFR I am going to swap up front (weight be damned...I want to be confident corning!)

I was thinking one of these for the rear:
  • DHF
  • DHR II
  • Maxxis Agressor ( but doesn't seem to save as much weight as I'd hoped)
Would like to hear thoughts and opinions, thanks!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Since you asked....

if i assume this is your bike...

https://intensecycles.com/collections/recluse/products/recluse-expert-build

then it came with 27.5" rims with an inner width of 19mm

https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-...MInP6XiaaB4wIVk8JkCh1U0gwyEAAYASAAEgKp-_D_BwE

To compare...

Im 265 on a 27.5" x 3.0" on internal width 45mm and run 18psi rear to perform well. I have never rolled this combo!

This tire is on a rim thats less than half that width. 3.0/2.3 * 18 = 23psi this is based on contact patch alone. Since you weigh less than me, perhaps 21psi is your lowest tire pressure??? Maybe 28 your highest???

Tire pressure alone doesnt tell the whole story.

When a tire sits on a rim it sets up a shape. think light bulb in your case. This light bulb has no side support and a large bulb on the top. My wider rims move the base of that light bulb outward substantially. So there is less chance of rolling the tire or pulling it away from the rim lip and burping it (momentary flat that results in an instant and substantial pressure loss).

You will not be happy until you change to a wider rim.

3.0 = 40mm
2.8 = 35mm
2.5 = 30mm
2.3 = 25mm

In your case, id go find an i27mm or close to it.

This to me seems under spec'd. its normally not an issue for an xs rider, but definitely becomes a problem for an xxl rider!

if your actually already running i30 rims, then one more aspect to look at is your cornering technique. When we have alot of grip, its actually quite easy to side load the tire. Usually in a berm. This makes it want to roll over. if you look at some cornering videos, you will see some riders modify their technique by dropping the bike sideways more between their knees in the turns. This keeps the rider ready for the next move but also places those loads more directly into the wheel rather than tangentially.

Just my opinion
cheers!

·
This place needs an enema
17,093 Posts
How wide are your rims?

What size are the tires you have?

What size are the tires you're considering?

What pressures are you running?

·
Shartacular Spectacular
443 Posts
As some others have alluded, it is important that you provide the following in order to get some meaningful recommendations:

-Wheel size?
-Wheel make and model?
-Inner width of rim?
-Tire pressures you have bee running?
-Widths of all of the tires you have been running?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, my bike is a 27.5, my rims are Sun Helix TR27 Rims that only have 23mm internal.

I usually have about a 2.35 or 2.4 width tire in the front running about 25psi and 2.25 in the rear with 30 psi.

As @Fuse6F pointed out I am starting to look into wider rims, could be one of the main issues

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So, I checked and my rims are actually TR29 with 26mm internal. I had been looking at moving to a 30mm ID rim, but is 4mm really going to make that big of a difference?

·
This place needs an enema
17,093 Posts
So, I checked and my rims are actually TR29 with 26mm internal. I had been looking at moving to a 30mm ID rim, but is 4mm really going to make that big of a difference?
Given that you're 210# and your main complaint is that tires roll/fold on you in corners, anything you can do to increase rim width relative to tire width is going to help.

·
Dirty Old Man
1,073 Posts
Yes. Of course, instead of trying to find heavier, stiffer tires you try adding CushCore. A set of CushCore inserts weigh the same as a pair of inner tubes and will add quite a bit of support to your tires. I was having issues last year with my Michelin Wilds rolling over in turns. Increasing the pressure enough to prevent roll over killed the traction and ride. Adding Cushcore firmed up the tire while also allowing me to run lower pressures. It's a substantial difference and might be just what you're looking for.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.