Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:
I am 5'11" 265 lbs, 6"1" wingspan, and 35" inseam. I have ridden a XL maverick ML8 for the past 10ish years so a 165mm rear and 160mm front that climbs well and decends better. I have blown out the proprietary rear shock a few times.

Prensent day:
Its about time for a new bike. Some bigger wheels, some modern geometry, 1x drive train etc. I want pretty similar travel setup and functionality. So pretty much an enduro that pedals just fine. I'll take a hit on climbing speed, but would prefer if the bike is active enough to be helpful on techy climbs. I was initially leaning toward a 27.5 but tried a long travel 29" and couldn't justify it anymore.

Some of my contenders: (looking in the ~$3k range flavors Dadbod=dadbudget)
Canyon strive - DPX2 shock is Clyde friendly. Shapeshifter sounds nice if it is robust enough. Any Clyde experience/opinions on it?
YT jeffsy or capra
Commencal meta AM or clash
Nukeproof mega
Rocky Mtn altitude
Rocky Mountain instinct bc edition - tried this out in the lot. Liked it but have heard concerns about punching below its weight on the downs. I felt better in the XL on it for sure.

Some other notes: I can demo a commencal since I am near Golden, co.

Any comments opions, suggestions, additions to my list would be appreciated.
Thanks for your help and wisdom.

·
jcd's best friend
3,399 Posts
I'm 5'11" and 260 pounds myself. The Rockshox DPX2 handles my weight just fine! Pretty much any enduro bike out there would work out for you. I currently ride a Transition Scout and it's an awesome bike! I haven't had one issue with the bike and my weight. I also had a Transition Sentinel and it was just a pure downhill machine!

The Scout can go up to 2.8" tires if that floats your boat. I've always ridden my bikes on 2.3" tires and decided to try 2.6" for once. It was a nice balance between both sizes.

·
Registered
14,885 Posts

The new carbonium GG Smash is a great bike. Climbs very well and descends like a beast. It's made in the USA in Denver if that maters to you and starts at $3795. You can get a 2018 metal Smash with a sweet build under $3K with only a ~0.5lb weight hit.

·
Registered
2019 Rip 9,. 2017 Surly Krampus
65 Posts

The new carbonium GG Smash is a great bike. Climbs very well and descends like a beast. It's made in the USA in Denver if that maters to you and starts at $3795. You can get a 2018 metal Smash with a sweet build under $3K with only a ~0.5lb weight hit.
Are you talking new bikes or used? Can you point me to an aluminum smash suitable for a 6'4 260lb rider?

·
Registered
14,885 Posts
Are you talking new bikes or used? Can you point me to an aluminum smash suitable for a 6'4 260lb rider?
The carbon 2019 Smash bikes are starting at $3795 new. They are a fresh release so there is a waitlist for the XL [Size 4 in GG speak].

There are metal 2018 Smash bikes available with nice builds for less than $3K. Here is an XL for $2700 on PB.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2611985/

If you do FB join the GG owner's group. XL bikes are posted somewhat frequently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guerrilla.gravity.mtbers/

I saw one on FB recently, but didn't really pay attention since I have a Smash.

FWIW I'm 5'11"and ride a medium Smash.

·
Registered
2019 Rip 9,. 2017 Surly Krampus
65 Posts
The carbon 2019 Smash bikes are starting at $3795 new. They are a fresh release so there is a waitlist for the XL [Size 4 in GG speak].

There are metal 2018 Smash bikes available with nice builds for less than $3K. Here is an XL for $2700 on PB.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2611985/

If you do FB join the GG owner's group. XL bikes are posted somewhat frequently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/guerrilla.gravity.mtbers/

I saw one on FB recently, but didn't really pay attention since I have a Smash.

FWIW I'm 5'11"and ride a medium Smash.
Thank you. Not on Facebook so I miss out on that sector. The one you linked on pb is exactly what I'm looking. Just need to talk to my shop and see if the suspension will work for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.