Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a no-brainer but still I am gonna ask.

I am looking at building a new rear wheel for my all around bike (ie only bike). My bike is a 40 pounder, 7in fr, 6in rr. The build will have a hope pro2 12X150 and I have yet to decide on rims and spokes.

Rims options are:

1.-Mavic d321 (as far as I understand, the older version of EX729)
2.-Syncros DS28

I know both options are quite different, each of them with pros and cons, and that is why I am asking. First of all, I need a strong yet relatively light wheel; I frequently climb some tough 6km’s to get to the top of the trailhead and sometimes I just do some shuttle runs. I am not a crazy guy, still I ride on rough stuff and do frequents jumps and drops; not planning in going bigger than 6ft on drops or 10ft on gap jumps with nice trannies.

I can get either rim for the same price; which would be a better option. I have concerns about the d321 may be overkill (I’m currently riding some Supra N with out any problem though), and about the ds28 not as durable as the d321 (I haven’t read any comments on the DS28 other than FoShizzle’s). So given my riding style which would be the best option?

OTOH, which spokes would suit better, Champions or Competitions (based on cost-benefit)?

Thank you all for your help and comments

BTW, I am using brass nipples, and the wheels are being build a professional builder.

·
Old No. 7
1,453 Posts
823's are HEAVYIER than 729s run w/ rim strips from my understanding, so don't go w/ 823s.
I have a rear d321 that's beat to snot and has been on the bike for 3 years (used bike) and is still going. Tough rim, if you like running big tires they make a great rim, I'm thinking if you run smaller tires they will give it too flat of a profile. For my next wheels I'm thinking I'm sticking w/ the ex729, which are, like you said, the "up-dated" version of the 321s. I don't know about the other rim you mentioned but that's my experiance w/ d321s.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all your comment guys.:thumbsup:

I pulled the trigger on the d321´s this morning. I was kinda sold on them since the beggining; you reinforced my decision thought.

Thanks a lot!!!

·
Pro Crastinator
12,018 Posts
IMO, there is absolutely no comparison between the D321 and any other rim on the planet. the D321 is the mac daddy of all rims and all other rims can only aspire to be as bad-ass as the shadow of a D321....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.