Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
33,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened a couple minutes ago and I'm steamed.

I'm headed in to campus...I'm a grad student and I have work to do. I'm driving, btw (I won't be ready to get back on the bike off the trainer for a couple months still). I come into campus and hit a 4-way stop sign. I see there are two roadies coming up the road, but I reach the intersection long before they do. I stop (complete stop...campus cops are stingy), and then I begin to proceed through the intersection. You see, I'm turning left. There is a left turn lane that I am in, and my signal is on.

Roadies aren't even moving very fast. Just cruising along. They don't even hesitate when they get to the stop, they keep rolling through like there was never a stop sign there. I have to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting them, and I shrug my shoulders/raise my hands in a "What the &$^# are you doing?!?!" gesture. ********s wave at me like I was being nice or something...and I see one of them has on a pair of f'n Bose noise cancelling headphones.

I commute to campus regularly on my bike. I never behave the way these @$$holes did. Pretentious pricks. I realize it was only a couple seconds, but idiots like that ruin the way cyclists are perceived by everybody else. I had half a mind to turn around, stop them, and give them a piece of my mind about their irresponsible and illegal riding behavior...but I thought better of that. Those guys are yet another reason I almost get run over half the time I commute to class on my own bike and why I put enough lights on to be seen from space (I got a really cool rope light to wrap around my frame for Christmas).

I take commuting seriously and I want to be safe doing it. I hope these guys get flats out in the country with no cell service or repair kit one of these days.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
spartan034 said:
dont stress about it

Karma and darwinism will do its part for them if they keep doing stupid sht
I'm with spartan on this one. If they keep behaving like that, it will come back at them with a vengeance eventually.

I do see your point about how they make other cyclists look. Sad thing is that there are stupid idiots everywhere and in every field though.

·
Registered
760 Posts
NateHawk said:
This just happened a couple minutes ago and I'm steamed.

I'm headed in to campus...I'm a grad student and I have work to do. I'm driving, btw (I won't be ready to get back on the bike off the trainer for a couple months still). I come into campus and hit a 4-way stop sign. I see there are two roadies coming up the road, but I reach the intersection long before they do. I stop (complete stop...campus cops are stingy), and then I begin to proceed through the intersection. You see, I'm turning left. There is a left turn lane that I am in, and my signal is on.

Roadies aren't even moving very fast. Just cruising along. They don't even hesitate when they get to the stop, they keep rolling through like there was never a stop sign there. I have to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting them, and I shrug my shoulders/raise my hands in a "What the &$^# are you doing?!?!" gesture. ********s wave at me like I was being nice or something...and I see one of them has on a pair of f'n Bose noise cancelling headphones.

I commute to campus regularly on my bike. I never behave the way these @$$holes did. Pretentious pricks. I realize it was only a couple seconds, but idiots like that ruin the way cyclists are perceived by everybody else. I had half a mind to turn around, stop them, and give them a piece of my mind about their irresponsible and illegal riding behavior...but I thought better of that. Those guys are yet another reason I almost get run over half the time I commute to class on my own bike and why I put enough lights on to be seen from space (I got a really cool rope light to wrap around my frame for Christmas).

I take commuting seriously and I want to be safe doing it. I hope these guys get flats out in the country with no cell service or repair kit one of these days.
Honestly, you lumping together a couple of dimwits and sterotyping roadies as being irresponsible or pretentious is perhaps dumber than what they did to you.
You want pretense? Start racing road bikes. You will learn you are the pretender in any Cat 1 or 2 group the first time you get dropped. Don't lump cyclists together. There are bad apples in every barrel and greatly eclipsed by the vast majority that participate in either. I ride both as do many cyclists.

·
Custom User Title
371 Posts
dirtrider7 said:
Honestly, you lumping together a couple of dimwits and sterotyping roadies as being irresponsible or pretentious is perhaps dumber than what they did to you.
You want pretense? Start racing road bikes. You will learn you are the pretender in any Cat 1 or 2 group the first time you get dropped. Don't lump cyclists together. There are bad apples in every barrel and greatly eclipsed by the vast majority that participate in either. I ride both as do many cyclists.
I don't think he quite meant it like that. He was just heated and it came out that way.
He even said in his post that idiots like that make other (good) cyclists look bad to non cyclists with their behavior.
No need to get touchy. ;)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I live in Portland and it seems that every fixie, roadie, and townie rider thinks they own the road. Be thankful you don't have to deal with that.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was cranky about THOSE roadies. some folks understood my point. riding through a stopsign while someone is trying to drive through the intersection? not only did they blow the stop sign, but since I was at the intersection first, it was my turn. and the noise canceling headphones make the one guy even more of an idiot (and the other guy equally dumb for riding with such a liability in traffic).

where was I complaining about my job? I was just headed back to the office after lunch with my wife. last time I checked, I was happy to be alive, let alone healthy enough to get back to my thesis project to finish my master's degree. nearly dying twice in the past year will do that to you. I've also had "real" jobs in the past. didn't like them so I went back to school to get qualified for different work. I'm probably a fair bit older than you think and

·
since 4/10/2009
33,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mudlover71 said:
I live in Portland and it seems that every fixie, roadie, and townie rider thinks they own the road. Be thankful you don't have to deal with that.
I live in Texas and you'd think people who ride bikes alongside 3ton pickup trucks would have more sense than to cut off automobile traffic.

·
I'm SUCH a square....
1,955 Posts
'Fraid I'm with you on this one, Nate -- I'd have been bellowing out the window at them:

"THAT WAS A F***ING 4-WAY STOP BACK THERE, A$$HOLEZ!!"

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
Here in Chicago we wait for bikes to run stop signs. Doesn't bother me one way or another.
...last time I checked, I was happy to be alive... nearly dying twice in the past year will do that to you.
Hard to tell from this thread. Did you really let something so small make you so angry?

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Jumping to conclusions...

Lickety Split said:
Can't wait for you to get a real job to complain about.
LS
I'm sure you know that Nate has a job. And is in the process of kicking cancer's ass? And has enough posion injected in to him in the past 6 months to kill most humans? And he's going to grad school?

How about you?

Here's a decent read for you to catch up: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=500278

I choose to give him a pass on his rant since he can't ride a bike (which tends to make people cranky).

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
This just happened yesterday and I'm steamed!

I was walking up to the customer service center at a department store to return something yesterday and this fat chick with blond curly hair practicly RAN to get to the counter ahead of me!!! Damned fat chicks with blond curly hair... I hates 'em!:mad:

·
Registered
5,849 Posts
Ricko said:
This just happened yesterday and I'm steamed!

I was walking up to the customer service center at a department store to return something yesterday and this fat chick with blond curly hair practicly RAN to get to the counter ahead of me!!! Damned fat chicks with blond curly hair... I hates 'em!:mad:
You should have scream out "Wow, You've won. Yesss":thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
NateHawk said:
This just happened a couple minutes ago and I'm steamed.....................

........."What the &$^# are you doing?!?!" ..........

. ..... ********s wave at me..........................

..............these @$$holes did. Pretentious pricks. ................

............. I hope these guys get flats out in the country
Yikes.

I'd hate to see your response when something of real consequence happens.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts