Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RD was shifting like crap. Typically, I have little to no patience with de-rail-r adjustments. But armed with Zinn and motivated by a lack of cash to give to the bike shop, I was determined to fumble my way back to the land of shift-y perfection.

Limit screws adjusted. Played with cable tension a bunch. Shifting was still less than "crisp" in the middle cogs (more like, sludgy) regardless of my efforts. It's really annoying to have the chain skipping down a cog when trying to clean that rocky, rooty climb.

As a last-ditch effort, I bought a new d-hanger. Installed it last night and presto-change, the bike shifting like a dream. I didn't have to adjust a thing. Upon inspection, the old hanger was ever so slightly bent - I don't think you could even see it while it was attached to the bike.

So, just a PSA. Check your hanger.

That is all.

:D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Can be frustrating !!!
Just the slightest bend can throw your whole system off.

One way to check is by removing the derailer and placing a framing square against the hanger to see how it corresponds to the rim.

Although I straightened it, I now have a new one on hand.

How many times can you straighten a hanger?

·
Registered
151 Posts
An easy way to check the D-hanger is to remove the derailer, take a wheel, remove the QR and srew the axle into the hole (it's the same thread). This makes it obvious to the naked eye if the hanger is bend.
You can straigthen a hanger until it breaks ;) Seriously, they are made from aluminium and they are designed to be weak so you can't really straigthen them. If they are bend, straightening is a temporary solution and you'd best start searching for replacement. I keep a spare for my bike.

·
Old man on a bike
12,389 Posts
remove the QR and srew the axle into the hole (it's the same thread).

The interior of your derailleur bolt is threaded? Or is your skewer the same diameter of your derailleur bolt? But for both checking it and straightening it all in one operation nothing beats the hanger alignment tool (but with an aluminum hanger it's true about its life being limited from the first straightening, steel hangers are more suited to straightening...).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts