Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Czar Bottom Bracket/Crank Help. Updated, bike is finished!

Hi guys, I'm the proud new owner of a Czar frame. I've been collecting parts and am about ready to get the thing on the trail. I'm a weeeeeeeeee bit excited to say the least. :) I promise to post pictures soon when she's finished up.

Unfortunately, I've run into some trouble with the crank/bottom bracket. I purchased the Race Face Next SL crank and am running an XX1 derailleur from an old bike. I had a PF30 bottom bracket installed and then when the crank got here I learned that the Next SL crank uses a proprietary bottom bracket so I ordered it. It arrived today and clearly states in the instructions it is NOT for a 73mm bottom bracket width. I'm at a loss here and am thinking I'll return the Next SL crank and just order up a XX1 crank. If I do that, I'm assuming I order the BB30 crank with the 168 Q-Factor? I'm sorry for the rambling post but I'm new to bike building and am frustrated with the mistakes I've made so far and want to eliminate any more and get this thing finished. Am I headed in the right direction, or no?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Q: What size is the bottom bracket does the Czar use?
A: The Czar utilizes a PressFit 30 bb (PF30). The bottom bracket shell is 73mm wide.

For more information on PressFit 30 bb (PF30) configurations please refer to this Chris King PF BB Fit Guide.
so yes, the czar needs a 73mm PF30.

from the RF site, on the BB compatibility chart:
PF30:
RF BB Part number:
68/73mm ‐ BB467330B8
83mm ‐ BB468330B8
Install Tool ‐ Headset Press
I bet you ordered the 83mm one. Easy mistake, with all the different standards available it gets confusing.

I'd offer to take those cranks if you decide not to keep them, but my budget is blown for this (and next) month....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

I talked to the guys at Race Face and they assured me the Cinch PF30 Bottom Bracket comes in ONE size and I have the correct one for the 73mm bb shell. I'm still really skeptical, after lining it all up it just plain doesn't fit.

I'm tired of the hassle and Pricepoint has the XX1 crank in stock so I'm ordering it, hoping it arrives tomorrow and hoping to get to ride the bike this weekend.

Thanks for the help though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quick update, the XX1 showed up and installed as expected, no issues whatsoever. I finally got to take the Czar out for it's maiden voyage yesterday. Planned on a short/quick shakedown ride but the weather was so nice and the bike was sooooooooooooooo good that I ended up putting in 25 miles and about 3000' of climbing. The bike is everything I hoped it would be and then some. It's solid, very, very solid while also being pretty damn light and quick. The DW link sure seems to work as advertised, the bike pedals awesome with no pedal bob whatsoever. It won't be often that I reach down to put the shock into climb mode, it's just not necessary. This is my first truly 'high end' bike and I was really concerned that I'd spent too much and may be disappointed. I won't waste another second worrying about that.

Here's a quick pic of the finished product before the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
well i'm looking on build a czar frame too, and have a crankset shimano xt, so i will need a adapter to use with pf30, do you think this is the right one??

Comprar Pedalier Truvativ Adaptador PressFit 30 a BSA - Bicimarket.com

thanks
I know it's a bit expensive to go for a Chris King PF30. But for something that would stay a long time on your expensive carbon frame, I think it is worth it.
You can get a CK conversion kit #2 which much better than the threaded version you posted above.
Worst thing that could happen with that BB cup above is it may become lose after sometime of if you over tighten the BB cups. Just a thought,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts