Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I changed out the tires on my stumpy a while back because I got tired of wiping out in the loose corners. I found a 2.1 WTB Werewolf and 2.3 WTB Prowler on sale at Nashbar.com. They made a huge difference. Anything with big widely spaced nobs will help out a lot.

Trick to the sand pits is to drop down a gear or two before you hit the sand and just paddle through. Don't stop peddling until you make it to the other side.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,273 Posts
I have had good luck with a 2.4 Conti mtn King on the front and a 2.2 on the back. A 2.4 in back would be better, but I was trying to keep tire weight down some. Wide in front helps keep you from washing out in the corner. Also, low tire pressure is essential for sand so you float over it rather than cutting into it.

and yeah, something like 20% of armadillos carry leprosy. you can even get it from gardening in an area where a carrier armadillo has dug recently.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh ya, Like Nate said put the fatter tire up front for better control. Narrower tire in the back for better rolling resistance. Plus it looks cooler that way.

I was riding the trails on the east side of Cypresswood when I almost ran right through the decomposing armadillo. I had just watched Man Women Wild on Discovery, the night before. That's where I herd about the leprosy. They actually ate the armadillo after going on about how they carry the incurable disease. I'd rather go hungry

·
since 4/10/2009
35,273 Posts
Oh ya, Like Nate said put the fatter tire up front for better control. Narrower tire in the back for better rolling resistance. Plus it looks cooler that way.

I was riding the trails on the east side of Cypresswood when I almost ran right through the decomposing armadillo. I had just watched Man Women Wild on Discovery, the night before. That's where I herd about the leprosy. They actually ate the armadillo after going on about how they carry the incurable disease. I'd rather go hungry
maybe it was incurable in the Biblical era, but not so much now.

Leprosy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Come see me after class
1,431 Posts
I run Kenda Slant 6 front and Small Block 8 rear, both 2.25. They work great at Cypresswood, my home trail, at around 25-30psi. I'm singlespeed so there's no downshifting for the sand. :p

Big knobby tires are a bit overkill for the trails around Houston.

·
since 4/10/2009
35,273 Posts
a tighter tread pattern is better in sand. the last thing you want is for the tire to dig in.
you'd have to see how these tires operate under those conditions to get it, but they work well in the sand for me. I used to run micro-knobbies with a pretty dense knob pattern and they were terrible in loose sand. washed out far too easily in the corners. the knobs on the mk are not so tall that they dig into the sand and churn it up. they are tall enough, however, to grab any roots that might mess up your line on steep climbing turns like we have in Nac

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never had problems with digging into the sand. The wide spaced nobs act like a paddle tire. Almost like a paddle boat in water.

There's no such thing as overkill. It's good to be prepared for anything.

I agree with low pressure. I also run 30/25 psi and I'm about 170 lbs with my camlebak loaded.

·
Registered
31 Posts
where is cypresswood?

edit: Nevermind, I see it's by Meyer Park, which is pretty big. Can anyone give me a better idea where at?
Corner of Cypresswood and TC Jester. Some is private property, some is county land. Find the named trail signs and you are in the right spot. There is a small parking lot on the NW corner of the intersection you can park in. Then just across Cypresswood to the trail entrances.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Unfortunately, GHORBA brought about a ton more riders than what Cwood used to see. Not only do i think all that traffic makes more sand, but it means ghorba will smooth out any slightly technical feature as well to accomodate for all the road bikes that ride the trail (and lawsuit happy idiots). If you want to ride what Cwood used to be like, just do a few loops in either direction on the east side of tc jester, everything else is pretty much junk for walmart/road bikes.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you want to ride what Cwood used to be like.
Used to be like?

Compared to what cypresswoods was like in 96' the trails out there are awesome.

Trails evolve the super cool neat-o trail that you remember when you first stated riding isn't the same trail today.

Cypresswood was never anything other than a good SS bike trail if you want rocks and drop-offs head on up to central Texas.

·
Registered
327 Posts
HAL, I do head out there, quite often. Do you not remember the bowl area back in the 90's? All of the trails through the east side of tc jester that have been logged? I've lived directly behind the trails since the late 80's and have been riding/maintaining them probably as long or longer than you. All of the GHORBA trails (at cypresswood) are junk. Smoothed out lawsuit avoidance paths.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.