Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my girlfriend a 2010 Cypher 1.

Always been a Rocky Mountain guy but I just couldn't find a better 5" travel women's specific bike for the price than the Cypher. Hope she catches the fever!!

Attachments

·
TRANCER
2,770 Posts
That thing is beautiful ! Thats the ladies version of the Trance X. My gf would love one of those. If your gf doesn't catch the fever with that thing she is hopeless. lol Great buy man !

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oh i love that bike it looks like my 2010 reign 0
shame the wife doesnt ride or we could of had a matchin pair haaaa
good buy lovely bike:thumbsup:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bike does not come with pedals...hard decision as to whether to go with clipless or flats. I decided to order clipless. Just waiting for the pedals and shoes to arrive so she can try 'er out.

I hope going clipless right off the get-go is not a mistake...might be a short mountain bike career if it goes badly...ha

·
Registered
57 Posts
jimpov said:
Oh i love that bike it looks like my 2010 reign 0
shame the wife doesnt ride or we could of had a matchin pair haaaa
good buy lovely bike:thumbsup:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I just got my girlfriend riding again after probably 15 years or so. We went to a local ski resort in the fall and she seemed to have a good time. So maybe I'll get her one next year when she's ready.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My GF just ordered the same bike. Should be here in 2 weeks. She's upgrading from an '05 Specialized FSR XC with 4" of travel. About the pedals, she uses Crank Bros. Mallots, which are a platform with an eggbeater in the middle. That way she can clip in when she's comfortable with the trail but unclip when the trail gets a little technical. She's probably not too far from going to a full-on clipless pedal though. She's falling a lot less.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bikensand...when your gf gets her bike, let me know if the forks have the FIT damper or the regular damper. The fork on the bike we ordered came with the regular Fox damper, which was not a super big deal to us...but...the Giant website did list the FIT fork in the pdf spec sheet and in the picture. It also listed it as a "key" upgrade from the Cypher 2.

Good choice on the bike...it's a beauty!

·
Registered
32 Posts
For those that just purchased the Cypher, can I ask why you didn't go with the Anthem? I am considering getting my wife a new bike (she currently has an Anthem W 08') and she wanted more travel, the two bike stores I went to both recommended the Anthem... Although she likes the Cypher better (color)... thanks
We ride in So Cal so we have some climbs, she is a little sketchy on the downhill sections, that is why I thought the Cypher would be better.???

·
Registered
57 Posts
The best thing to do is look at it by the numbers. So here you go:

Here are the specs on the 2010 Cypher.

The 2010 Anthem X W:

Maybe someone else can chime in here and offer up what their significant others thoughts are on the two?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We chose the cypher over the anthem because of the xtra travel and the more relaxed riding position. I would think that unless speed is the biggest factor in your riding, the cypher is just gonna be a "funner" all-around bike.

Having said that, the light weight of the anthem is pretty awesome.

My gf's cypher 1 weighs 26.7 lbs (with xt clipless pedals, water bottle cage, etc).

·
Registered
32 Posts
^^^Really?? I was told the Cypher weighed 28lbs. I was in a bike store the other day and the Weighed the Anthem 27.06 lbs with platforms and reflectors...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
we changed the tires and tubes when we bought the bike. also her frame is an xtra small. it's a cypher 1 vs the cypher 2 which is quite a bit heavier component wise.

i was pretty surprised myself (and pleased)!!

i'll send a pic with the bike on the scale so you can see the reading (12.12 kg).

·
Registered
63 Posts
Biohazard74 said:
Good call. Start with clipless. It will eventually by way better when she does start to get good.
I dunno - I know more than one girl that gave up on mtn biking after too many 0 mph clipless wrecks. I'd start with flats and let her get comfy on trails before moving her up.

·
TRANCER
2,770 Posts
ep-gnar said:
I dunno - I know more than one girl that gave up on mtn biking after too many 0 mph clipless wrecks. I'd start with flats and let her get comfy on trails before moving her up.
If she is having 0 mph crashes with clips i believe she will have those wether she is used to the bike or not. Sh1t, I still sometimes forget and i have been on them for about 4 or 5 months already :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Melanie got hers Friday and put the first ride on it yesterday (we were out of town all weekend). Skyak, hers is exactly like your GF's, no FIT decal on the fork. I'm going to call Giant on that today or tomorrow to find out if they nixed the decal or if it's a standard F-series. We even traded the Nevegals for the Racing Ralphs because the Neve's are so bad in the soft sand we have around here. Pretty coincidental that you went with the same tires. They seem like a good tread pattern; very similar to the Specialized Resolutions that were on her old bike. I'll try to get some pics up later tonight. BTW, standard bathroom scale shows 28 lbs with the crank bros. mallets, small frame.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
We had another good ride yesterday (Moose Mountain). Nicole is getting a little more confident and starting to really enjoy the bike. So far so good!

for full disclosure...these are the changes made to the bike after purchasing:

>> swapped out the nevegals for 2.25" racing ralphs
>> changed the tubes to Continental MTB 26 light tubes
>> i had an xtra rear wheel which came stock on my bike (xt rear hub, xt 11-34 cassette, xt rotor, xt QR, nice dt spokes, laced to a mavic 717 rim) which we installed on the cypher
>> swapped the stock chain (shimano HG-73) for a shimano CN-7701
>> removed the xt gear indicators
>> dropped the stem a bit such that there is one spacer above the stem
>> installed the xt pedals
>> cut down the seat post

only other modification which I would still like to do at some point in the future (next year) is to swap out the front wheel for something lighter....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts