Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a 5-year hiatus, I'm looking at cx/gravel bikes again. I bought one in 2013 to ride the Crusher in the Tushar (I have the two-time dubious honor of being the last to finish before the cut-off, LOL). At the time, I rode a Fuji Cross-comp.

Fast forward, and things have changed. My old Felt F2C is really long in the teeth, so it needs to be sold or a complete Ultegra revamp. Since I am spending more and more time in the mountains, I am looking at buying a gravel/cx bike instead. My riding style is much more "touring" than racing (esp all day, 10,000 foot race climbs), so I want to be sure to get a bike that's a bit more of a relaxed fit, plusher ride, etc.. Is there a significant geometry difference between CX and "gravel" bikes, or is it all just hype, and one is the same as another?

Have my eye on a '17 Specialized Crux E5 that's well-priced, but I want to be sure I understand the market before committing the dollars.

·
Bikes in jeans
2,372 Posts
The gravel term is somewhat ambiguous and depends on the manufacturer. They tend to migrate between CX geometry usually with more tire clearance and more of a drop bar hardtail 29er on others. I would just compare the geometry to their CX frames vs hardtail 29ers to see what you're getting.

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
The crux falls into more of a race category than a comfortable gravel bike. Its a great option though, I own an older crux and its held up quite well

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Cx bikes if you want twitchy, single track killer gravel riding.

Gravel bike like the warbird is more what your looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.