Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went dumpster diving this weekend and found an old "free spirit" road bike. I was thinking about "Fixing" it with some cyclocross tires. My question is what size are cyclocross tires and will they fit on a standard size road rim? The stays and the fork seem wide enough, but I don't know exactly how wide a cyclocross tire measures.

Thanks

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
2big2ride said:
I went dumpster diving this weekend and found an old "free spirit" road bike. I was thinking about "Fixing" it with some cyclocross tires. My question is what size are cyclocross tires and will they fit on a standard size road rim? The stays and the fork seem wide enough, but I don't know exactly how wide a cyclocross tire measures.

Thanks
First of all, there's a good chance you have 27" wheels, and not the 700c wheels that most cyclocross bikes have. Check the size stamped on the sidewall of its current tires. If it's 27", your tire selection will be very limited, but there's at least one option: http://www.store.yahoo.com/cyclocrossworld/clubrooscros.html.

If it's 700c (might be labeled 700x25 or something like that), then you have lots of tire choices, because that's the current standard size for both road and cyclocross tires.

I can't say whether you'll have room for the tires or not though: 'cross tires are typically 30-35mm wide, which is substantially wider than standard road tires (typically 20-25mm, probably 25-ish on yours). Eyeball the clearance you've got around the current tires and you might get a good idea. Also remember the limiting factor on a lot of road bikes is not the frame and fork, but the brakes. A 32mm tire typically will not fit through a road caliper unless it is of the "long-reach" variety (which your older bike could have), and even then it might clog up with mud really easily.

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
2big2ride said:

Thanks
T,

Buy some gnarly hybrid tires from REI using Glowboy's sizing advice. They're usually cheap, wider, and sufficient for light fooling around on our trails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.