Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, and first let me apologize for my ignorance on this topic.

I came across a nashbar "X" cyclocross frame pretty cheap and wondered if it would be possible to use this frame and make a 29'er instead of a cyclocross bike? The frame looks like it has enough clearance, and it is already set up for either disc brakes or linear pull/ cantis. It also appears and feels similar to my Nishiki aluminum MTB frame with a huge down tube.

Just curious if I would run into any potential problems throwing a suspension fork and MTB wheels on this thing and really giving it hell off road? The geometry may not be perfect for a MTB setup, but I was curious if it would work. I suppose it may even be possible to make it a regular old 26'er if I use discs?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=15767

·
Registered
310 Posts
i think a suspension fork would mess with the geometry a good bit..but hey, its your bike, do what interests you.

frankenbikes are always fun

·
Registered
237 Posts
In the event you're buying this to really make a mtb, the motobecane 29er frame is available for approximately the same amount of coin.

If you really want to frankenbike, and have the option of going back to CX mode, then go ahead, just know that the axle to crown of even a short 80mm fork is about 7 cm higher than a typical CX fork. That's a lot, and will really mess with the handling, probably enough to make it not fun to ride. If you want to buy a rigid fork in the 420 atc range, it might not be too bad. The frames are overbuilt, so I wouldn't worry too much about off road xc-type shenanigans.

·
Good For You
407 Posts
Oh, I didn't even see the part about a suspension fork. Yeah, you definitely don't want to put one on this frame, it would push the front end up so high, you would have wheel flop like nobody's business. Nashbar offers a CX fork with disc mounts, you can fit a 29x1.9 tire in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I Think Its A Bad Idea Unless You Go With A Rigid Fork
But If You Run A Rigid Fork Then You Have A Cross Bike With Flat Bars...
More Or Less
As For 26er Wheels If You Run Those You Will Drop You Bb By 1.5 In
You Will Hit Your Chainrings On Speed Bumps

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input, guys... guess I will scratch the suspension fork Idea and the possibility of 26" wheels.

Any idea on if that motobecane frame comes in different sizes or if they are just sold out of everything but a 15"? That would be way too small for me.

3,617 Posts
Helmsdini said:
Hello all, and first let me apologize for my ignorance on this topic.

I came across a nashbar "X" cyclocross frame pretty cheap and wondered if it would be possible to use this frame and make a 29'er instead of a cyclocross bike? The frame looks like it has enough clearance, and it is already set up for either disc brakes or linear pull/ cantis. It also appears and feels similar to my Nishiki aluminum MTB frame with a huge down tube.

Just curious if I would run into any potential problems throwing a suspension fork and MTB wheels on this thing and really giving it hell off road? The geometry may not be perfect for a MTB setup, but I was curious if it would work. I suppose it may even be possible to make it a regular old 26'er if I use discs?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?sku=15767
sounds to me you want a 29er MTB
stick to trying to find a 29er

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like you've already got you answer, but since I'm here I'll throw in my $.02. I bought a used Kona Jake the Snake x bike last spring - mainly for my 10 mile work commute. I absoultely loved it over my MTB for commuting. Instantly picked up 5mph and more if there's a wind. I really enjoyed having a fast bike to get from point A to B. I got so used to riding it that I started taking it over my HT 26" when I went off-roading which did work, but it reminded my of why I was so happy to try suspension when it first came out. Bottom line - the X bike was great for lots of things, but I got tired of riding it off-road so I build up a 29er. I took the 29er to work the other day just to see how I'd like a road ride on it...it sucked! Much slower and less comfortable than my x bike, but much better on the off-road trails. Bottom line, I don't think there's one bike for everything. Different bikes do different things well, no bike does everything well - figure out what's most important to you and build/buy accordingly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts