Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Is it me, or are drivers everywhere getting more ignorant, more aggressive, more uncourtious!?

I stick to the trails too, but I have roadie friends that have had some close calls due to insane people behind the wheel.. mostly the usual stuff, cars and trucks trying run them off the road or flying by so close that they actually brush against them. The worst story was a friend at work who was riding the roads just outside of Georgetown, ON when a guy in a minivan with his wife and kids in it, kept pulling in front of him and slamming his brakes, this happened several times over the length of a kilometer or so.. still a mystery as to why he was doing it, maybe he was entertaining his wife and kids by trying to kill a cyclist.

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
You are right. There are alot of a*hole drivers on the road. However, I have seen alot of cyclists not following the rules; cutting quickly across intersections or flying down storefront sidewalks weaving in between people. We as cyclists are not always innocent and everyone must follow the rules and look out for each other. Although the Georgetown story above is just completely ridiculous.

On a related note I saw a story on CBC.ca today, check it out.

One more since we are discussing terrible, tragic accidents. Sorry, this one is sad.

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,293 Posts
I know its very, very sad.

I live in St. Catharines and the city is proceeding with a proposal to re-route downtown traffic including turning one-way streets to two-way. Now they are doing this to draw more people into the heart of the city. Unfortunately they will not be including bicycle lanes on these main streets and want cyclists to use side roads that also do not have bicycle lanes but are less busy. Talk about out of touch.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Everytime I read those type of news it just makes me very very angry and sad also. I commute everyday through mississauga and the traffic can be crazy on some roads. Personally what bothers me the most is vehicles that pass too close to me. Some people out there don't deserve to have a drivers license and drive.

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
if i was walking down the street, in a public park or a mall and my actions resulted in the death of another human being (accidental or otherwise) i would expect (in the least) to be charged with manslaughter.

unfortunately we have such an elevated opinion of cars in northamerica that we seem to offer a great deal of immunity towards anything that involves them...and thats not going to change anytime soon.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
nogearshere said:
if i was walking down the street, in a public park or a mall and my actions resulted in the death of another human being (accidental or otherwise) i would expect (in the least) to be charged with manslaughter.

unfortunately we have such an elevated opinion of cars in northamerica that we seem to offer a great deal of immunity towards anything that involves them...and thats not going to change anytime soon.
I agree. Maybe with the price of oil increasing daily, People will use their cars less, and see the issues that cyclists deal with ....or maybe not.
Now they blame the 2 cyclists for not having "Charity Ride Permits".
PERMITS....WTF.
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...itemid=CTVNews/20080630/cyclists_crash_080630

·
Misfit Psycles
2,772 Posts
1440Brad said:
I agree. Maybe with the price of oil increasing daily, People will use their cars less, and see the issues that cyclists deal with ....or maybe not.
Now they blame the 2 cyclists for not having "Charity Ride Permits".
PERMITS....WTF.
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/ab...itemid=CTVNews/20080630/cyclists_crash_080630
it was 4 cyclists. 2 adults 2 kids (16/19), thats it, 4 whole bikes comprised this GROUP...well shite i've seen bigger GROUPS at stoplights in caledon...distracted justice...watch my hand, watch my hand...

all so the public can breathe a sigh of relief...ppphhhheeewww...it was THEIR fault...okay then.

same business with the door, dayum what was that cyclist doing? people open doors all the time...he should have known.

·
Steady Creepin'
486 Posts
Oh, no no.. the government makes too much money taxing gas, they wanna keep those drivers happy and buying fuel! I'm sure that's a big reason why they always seem to get the benefit of the doubt in these car vs. bike cases.

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Well im going to go ahead and side with the driver on the first story. The poor guy opens his door on a crowded city street and unfortunately a cyclist who probably should have been paying attention to the driver in the car, nails the door, and careens into the path of a moving van.

When I ride in busy city sections, all of my time is spent reading other drivers decisions. If I see a driver in a parked car, I give the car enough clearance. While im certainly a strong advocate of increasing driver awareness when it comes to cyclists, I dont think the driver deserves much more than that petty fine. While bicycles supposedly 'share the road' with cars, a 2 ton vehicle uses a slightly different interpretation of share, than a 30lb bicycle, just the nature of the beast.

Toronto can dole out as much 'blame' on cyclists and drivers as they want, but for a city that rates terrible in terms of designated bicycle lanes, im surprised we dont hear more of this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.