Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thekansascitychannel.com/news/5390917/detail.html

The more I look at it the madder I get.

This is just one more nail in the coffin of getting people to commute to work. 4 miles, He rode 4 Miles.

An excuse or not for people to get out of commuting is becoming more justified. The most common reaction I get from people when they find out i ride a bike to work is "You ride your bike on these streets".

I met a guy on the trails (Blue River Park . . . aka BuRP) by my house this week; we got to talking and he said he'd never ride on these streets again. He was out there with his son and was very greatful for the trails so they had a place to ride.

I'm not going to drive my bike to some place where I can ride my bike.

By Friday Night I should have a bike up (Ghost Bike) at the site. In fact just a week before this a cyclist was run off the road (Drive Off) and ended up in the hospital . So that will be 2 by this weekend.

It will be something like this.
http://flickr.com/photos/bikeportland/tags/ghostbikemlkwygant/

I guess the original is down or something. Does anybody know about this?
http://www.ghostbike.org/

·
DOH!
473 Posts
The shooter needs to fried to crispy goodness ASAP. Asshat. ...How much of a grasp on reality can a person have if a cure for boredom is killing someone in cold blood?

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
Wow, that's disturbing

I'm speechless, i've been staring at my screen for the last 5 minutes trying to find words that convey the sick feeling I got after reading that article.

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
I don't know where you all have been ? This is the sick world I've been living in . M-Fer's at every turn.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That is awful. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I cannot believe that someone would shoot a person just for the fun of it. IMO the family should be able to kill the two that shot the cyclist. But that is just my opinion, I believe in "an eye for an eye."

·
Registered
995 Posts
radair said:
"Killing for the fun of it" - Totally amazing. I'll gladly remain a naive country bumpkin.
I don't know if that's going to help you any. I grew up in the country as well, and most of my "friends" would entertain themselves (again, when "bored") by driving around in trucks and beating anyone they saw with bats. If there was someone on a bike, they'd hit them with their car for a laugh. Yeah, people are great.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Should receive a swift and painful end.

Ever Seen Braveheart, The Disembowelment at the end is too compassionate for these F**Krs.

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and thought, "I hope they mean more photos......"

But there was no little camera icon :(

Don't think I can bring myself to read the story. Hope that people understand, though, that it wasn't the biking; could've been in the supermarket, school, mall parking lot........if somebody wants to kill as a pasttime, they'll find somebody on or off a bike. :mad:

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
protolith said:
Ever Seen Braveheart, The Disembowelment at the end is too compassionate for these F**Krs.
That would be too quick. I personally like to see sick SOB's like this wheeled. Drag it out a few days. Know what I mean? I HATE people like this. NO respect for their fellow man! :mad:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally

Christine said:
I saw the title of this thread and thought, "I hope they mean more photos......"

But there was no little camera icon :(

Don't think I can bring myself to read the story. Hope that people understand, though, that it wasn't the biking; could've been in the supermarket, school, mall parking lot........if somebody wants to kill as a pasttime, they'll find somebody on or off a bike. :mad:
As the story goes the killers originally were going to kill a girl walking down the street, when they saw the cyclist. The cyclist appealed to them more because he was a moving target.

Once you get to that place in life where you just kill people for fun I doubt if he has any remorse or cares about his life. I take it personal because I commute to work everyday. It could have easily been me. I'd love to get ahold of the guy, but what would I say to make him care? He's a few ticks past no respect for anything. It's someone that doesn't see the difference in freedom and a jail cell for life. How do you get convinced of that?

·
Registered
832 Posts
There are some cases where the death penalty is warranted in my mind, this is one of them. So sickening I have a hard time finding words, I feel like crying just reading about this.

Reminds me of an episode of Star Trek Voyager where they meet an alien race who's justice systems key point is that the family of the victim gets to decide the purpetrators punishment. I wonder if a system like that would work, provided there were limitations to what the punishment was, ie no torture, even though it would be very tempting in cases like this.

·
Get Down Do you
520 Posts
mb3designs said:
That is awful. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I cannot believe that someone would shoot a person just for the fun of it. IMO the family should be able to kill the two that shot the cyclist. But that is just my opinion, I believe in "an eye for an eye."

I couldn't agree more. The family should make these 2 suffer like they did to them. This story honestly sickens me.

·
I throw poo
420 Posts
I used to commute on my bike when I lived in K.C., I only lived a couple of miles from where that guy was shot. I feel kind of sick, and sad, and really, really angry.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Obituary for Robert Wynn Osborn

KC homicide #114: Bicyclist

With this killing in the news today, here is the obituary published in The Star:
ROBERT WYNN OSBORN Robert Wynn Osborn, 43, Kansas City, MO tragically lost his life on November 20, 2005. Visitation will be held 5-7 p.m. Friday, Nov. 25, 2005 at Missouri Funeral Care, 6113 Blue Ridge Blvd., Raytown, MO. Funeral services will be held 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 26 at the funeral home. Burial in Brooking Cemetery. Robert was born May 17, 1962 in Kansas City, MO. Robert was a member of the Boy Scouts where he earned Eagle Scout. He was a graduate of Raytown High School. While attending Purdue University, Robert was recommended to the Navy as a Pilot for Naval air-craft carriers. Robert was a member of the Huguenot Society and the Sons of the American Revolution. He was very interested in Egyptology and traveled to the pyramids during the millennium celebration. Robert loved aviation and was a member of the Civil Air Patrol. He is preceded in death by his mother, Martha Osborn. Survivors include: father, Glen Osborn, KCMO; brothers, Richard Osborn, KCMO, Ronald Osborn, Lancaster, TX; brother and sister-in-law, Randall and Kim Osborn, Pleasant Hill, MO. (Arr; Missouri Funeral Care, 816-3531700).

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
What a disgusting

display of the human condition. I'm bored, lets go kill someone at random???? Clearly this was a hate crime. How utterly F*cking repugnant. If the perps were white and the victim black, this would be headline news; everywhere. What sort of degenerate rational can be given for this? Poverty. Oppressed by the MAN. All BS. The hell with just these two, need to end the whole family line. And before any of you flame me; I'd feel the same way if the perps were white and the victim black. Whatever gene pool birthed that mess needs to be ended.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts