Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Like catnip for people
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He had passion!!

Bus driver 0 Cyclist 1!!

A Dunedin bus driver has been treated for facial injuries after a cyclist boarded his bus and attacked him last night.

The 53-year-old Citibus driver suffered multiple bruises to his face, a cut lip and shock.

The incident happened about 6pm as the driver was in North Rd, Northeast Valley, on his usual route, said Constable Rob Jones, of North Dunedin police.

The bus was waiting at a stop near Watts Rd when the cyclist dropped his bike, climbed on board and accused the driver of cutting him off earlier.

"The driver said he did not know what the cyclist was talking about, but the cyclist attacked him, repeatedly punching him about the head and face for a couple of minutes," Mr Jones told the Otago Daily Times.

The cyclist then left the bus and cycled off.

There were no passengers in the bus at the time of the attack.

There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St, several kilometres away, Mr Jones said.

"Even if he had, it is no reason for the cyclist to carry out a totally unprovoked assault on a guy just doing his rounds."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2520139/Cyclist-assaults-bus-driver

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
see comment

ar1981 said:
He had passion!!

Bus driver 0 Cyclist 1!!

A Dunedin bus driver has been treated for facial injuries after a cyclist boarded his bus and attacked him last night.

The 53-year-old Citibus driver suffered multiple bruises to his face, a cut lip and shock.

The incident happened about 6pm as the driver was in North Rd, Northeast Valley, on his usual route, said Constable Rob Jones, of North Dunedin police.

The bus was waiting at a stop near Watts Rd when the cyclist dropped his bike, climbed on board and accused the driver of cutting him off earlier.

"The driver said he did not know what the cyclist was talking about, but the cyclist attacked him, repeatedly punching him about the head and face for a couple of minutes," Mr Jones told the Otago Daily Times.

The cyclist then left the bus and cycled off.

There were no passengers in the bus at the time of the attack.

There was nothing to suggest the bus driver had cut the cyclist off in George St, several kilometres away, Mr Jones said.

"Even if he had, it is no reason for the cyclist to carry out a totally unprovoked assault on a guy just doing his rounds."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2520139/Cyclist-assaults-bus-driver
cyclist = LAME

·
Registered
278 Posts
Meh i see bus drivers doing some pretty stupid stuff, but its always smart to steer clear of larger vehicles(especially on a bike), it does seem like this roadie has some anger issues.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Only the bus driver and cyclist really know what happened that night. We have one side of the story as told by the bus driver. I've had a couple instances with callous or overly aggressive bus drivers who perhaps were bitter and very unhappy with their situations in life seemingly try and take their frustration out on other motorists or cyclists.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
stib said:
Only the bus driver and cyclist really know what happened that night. We have one side of the story as told by the bus driver. I've had a couple instances with callous or overly aggressive bus drivers who perhaps were bitter and very unhappy with their situations in life seemingly try and take their frustration out on other motorists or cyclists.
And I've had instances with egotistical and overly aggressive roadies who were perhaps bitter and very unhappy with their situations in life...not being the next Lance...and seemingly take their frustration out on motorists by being callous road hogs, almost challenging motor vehicles to hit them.

I've never hit any of them...and wouldn't. But I guess this whole thing kind of points out the pitfalls of attempting psychoanalysis of individuals from afar.

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,934 Posts
TNC said:
And I've had instances with egotistical and overly aggressive roadies who were perhaps bitter and very unhappy with their situations in life...not being the next Lance...and seemingly take their frustration out on motorists by being callous road hogs, almost challenging motor vehicles to hit them.
Yeah, we need more info here. What was the cyclist wearing and riding?

Matching team jersey and shorts (team he wishes he was on, that is), with $4K bike: It was the cylcists being the a-hole.

Street cloths with an ankle tie and backpack and regular nondescript bike: The driver tried to run him over and deserved the beating.

Skinny jeans with neatly rolled up right pant leg and riding an old 10 speed stripped and converted to ss fixie: Shame on the driver for not a) taking the annoying punk out on his bike and b) letting some hipster get the better of him in a girl fight.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
kapusta said:

Skinny jeans with neatly rolled up right pant leg and riding an old 10 speed stripped and converted to ss fixie: Shame on the driver for not a) taking the annoying punk out on his bike and b) letting some hipster get the better of him in a girl fight.
:lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
@TNC. I think you missed the point of my post. No one knows what happened that night except the bus driver and purported cyclist. I simply posted because I felt a blanket statement like, "cyclist = LAME" was short sighted.

·
since 4/10/2009
33,527 Posts
Buses are awful. They're more daring trying to squeeze by IN TRAFFIC than your average motorist. I bailed on riding to my last job, since I had to ride to work at the same time kids were getting off of school.

·
Registered
85 Posts
We don't need more information. Is there any scenario that justifies a biker beating the crap out of someone for cutting them off?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
I've had a few San Francisco Muni bus drivers pull some real annoying crap when riding on the road, but wouldn't risk an assault charge (or dropping my bike outside and climbing in the bus, bike might not be there by the time you come back out). Maybe file a complaint, but the Muni union is so strong that probably wouldn't do any good even if they bothered to match the bus number and time to a particular driver. I'm more likely just ride up to the driver's window at the next stop and give him a piece of my mind.

As far as this non-story goes, wtf knows what happened other than the two involved...

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
kapusta said:
Yeah, we need more info here. What was the cyclist wearing and riding?

Matching team jersey and shorts (team he wishes he was on, that is), with $4K bike: It was the cylcists being the a-hole.

Street cloths with an ankle tie and backpack and regular nondescript bike: The driver tried to run him over and deserved the beating.

LOL!...man, I think that just about covered everyone.:D

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
stib said:
@TNC. I think you missed the point of my post. No one knows what happened that night except the bus driver and purported cyclist. I simply posted because I felt a blanket statement like, "cyclist = LAME" was short sighted.
Honestly...I'm just having some juxtapositional fun. These biker vs. vehicle, MTB'er vs. roadie discussions are always fascinating.:D

·
thread crapper
753 Posts
This is why all cars need to be equipped with paintball guns. Then when you think there is a problem, you let the other guy know. You feel better because you got some frustration out, and no one really got hurt.

I ride with a guy that carries his mini pump like a weapon and if he thinks a car gets to close to him, he whacks the car. Scares the hell out of em usually and they give him a wider berth next time. haha I'm just waiting for some big ole ******* to get out and chase his skinny butt around with a shotgun or something for dinging his truck.

·
Stay thirsty my friends
885 Posts
I had a bus driver not completely pass me once and then squeeze me out into the curb when he hammered on the brakes to make a stop, nearly knocked me off the SOB. Some of them seem to think they own the curb lane and could care less about anyone else except their schedule timing. The older experienced ones seem to be much better

It does not take much to become a bus driver, all you need is a high school education and pass the drivers course. Most are not rocket scientists and are blissfully unaware they are negoitiating a 2 story 10 ton vehicle around with huge blind spots.

In heavy traffic and downtown I ride the sidewalk, give me a ticket...its safer than riding the road with the clowns. I don't think it was an accident the bus was empty when this happened...the incident with the bike probably happened earlier and the rider just picked his time to exact justice.

The pinhead bus driver probably deserved the beating, bet he will be careful around bike riders from now on. No assault is justified however but the rider likely had no recourse except to complain to the bus company which is about as satisfying as complaining at Walmart.

Education comes in many forms, sounds like this bus driver just got educated.:thumbsup:

·
2,548 Posts
scottap2003 said:
........I'm just waiting for some big ole ******* to get out and chase his skinny butt around with a shotgun or something for dinging his truck.
LOL .... I kinda worry the same down here in rural east TN.... some drivers (50+% ) don't feel cyclists should be on the raod, and make no room, even though the state passed a law that you can't pass a cyclist within three feet..... sounds good on the books, but it ain't happening in the real world - I don't care, anymore - I give the arseheads as much road as they want, pulling off if I feel endangered, whatever. It ain't worth gettin' shot by some b.o. stankin' good ol boy in his clapped out ol' pick'em-up truck. Not to mention that other than the "Greenbelt" trail system (paved :madman: ), my city isn't bike friendly at all.... no shoulders on many roads, just a ditch/gulley inches from the whited road-edge line.....If I could ride direct to work, it would be about a 3 mile easy ride.....instead, due to fearing for my personal safety, I take a convoluted back roads way that is double that length and involves a lot of steep hills .... better workout, but I start at 11 pm, and don't have the gumption to leave early enough so that I can get cleaned up when I get there (was different at my last job, where, coincidentally, I took virtually the same route, but I'd be sweating within the first 15 minutes of working anyway, so it didn't matter before....nowadays, I don't think my patients would care for a stanking nurse...LOL)

·
Lets RIDE!
1,548 Posts
I ride with a guy that carries his mini pump like a weapon and if he thinks a car gets to close to him, he whacks the car. Scares the hell out of em usually
And wrecks a perfectly good pump :-(

When I lived and commuted in Boston I used to slap the fender of aggressive drivers...no damage to the car but a good loud bang. It got their attention. But I stopped that after doing it to a carload of inner city thugs...they pulled right over and put the fear of death in me. Honestly I don't know how I talked myself out of that beating!

JZ

1 - 20 of 34 Posts