Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked with a member of the Czech Army this weekend and discovered that not only is he an avid cyclist and nearly daily bike commuter, but he is planning to ride from Prague to Croatia this summer for his vacation. That got me thinking about what I would do for a Cycling Vacation (besides the normal group tour). I have to admit I don't have much imagination when it comes to that type of planning. Maybe because I don't take enough time off to consider what I would do with more vacation. The best I could come up with was riding some trail through the rockies.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
New Zealand.

Loved it when I went there, can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Peru ~ I want to find Ancient Alien spacecraft..maybe use that portal door carved into that big rock. MachuPeChu and other places..chew on coco leaves like a Cliff Bar LOL
Realy thou I would like that...
There is a MTB Youtuber that goes all over the world riding trails..F'n jelous of that Fella!! Ireland or ^^ New Zealand / Down Under would be sweet..
Pffft...I'm stuck here in Cali..maybe before i die I'll adventure out..wife/kids/job/dogs/cats..ball and chianed me to the ground..
I need = AC/DC = Dirty Deeds
THen I can travel the world with my bike LOL
Ok too much coffee..

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
Cycling Vacation of my Dreams...

...starts right now, and never ends.

My bike + BOB trailer

Ride to local trail, stash trailer, ride, camp.
Wake up, pack up and ride to next closest trail.
Camp.
Ride.
Next closest trail.
Camp.
Ride.
ad infinitum

-F

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm happy with my usual summer of car camping and mountain biking with my family throughout Wa. OR. and B.C.. We have quite a few planned already.

·
Registered
3,310 Posts
I rode in Morocco last spring, which was pretty close to my dream vacation. Iceland the year before that, also just about perfect.
I don't know... maybe I'm just easy to please because I can't think of anything beyond what most organized tours offer that I'd really look for; things like good weather or meeting interesting people, and not having bad mechanicals are largely luck.

Nepal is probably my next trip.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I was still a noob and took my bike to Telluride summer of 2010. Wow. Affordable, 5 star accommodations. Beautiful landscape and all the free trips to the top of the mountain I could handle. Plus, the bluegrass festival was going on there. Talk about meeting some interesting people. Rode around Durango, too.

Had a conference in Monterey, rode Fort Ord. Also Took the bike to Mammoth.

Saw those biking vacations in Peru. That would be pretty cool to ride up to the ruins.

Most of my favorite trails are right at home.

I think wherever you go, is a great ride, except maybe Borrego Springs. All sand there, you have to stay on the pavement.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Southwestern Colorado for a week of trails and IPA. Have been wanting to go since 98. Haven't done it yet. Now I'm sad.

·
No known cure
4,258 Posts
Iceland last fall. Solo. I rode singletrack for three weeks without seeing another mountainbike.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list.
That's a great area to visit in general but a very cool place to cycle as well. I hope your wife is kicking cancer's ass and you get a shot at this vacation. The Monks in Val-Dieu make a great beer that was (as of two years ago) still available in a ceramic bottle with a cork and wire basket. It's a great beer and makes a really cool gift for your beer drinking friends.

·
One Colorful Rider
1,204 Posts
I don't have to leave the US to visit some awesome bike trail.
I was out in Bend OR last summer some amazing sites

·
Registered
776 Posts
"The Ardennes. The area near where the Battle of the Bulge was fought. I have a coworker in Germany and a vendor rep in Belgium that both ride that I want to meet up with there. Was supposed to happen this summer until cancer popped up and bit my wife. Bulgaria is a close second on my list."

I wish your wife and you well.
We went to the Ardennes so my wife could race the World Cup in Houffalize. That place is amazing. We wended up staying at a B and B type place over the border in Luxembourg that had a pretty amazing WW 2 artifact display. All the towns around have tanks in the town squares that double as jungle gyms for the kids. Houffalize has a German Tiger, La Roche en Ardenne has a U.S. Sherman, i forget what Bastogne has. The castle ruins are amazing too as is the aforementioned beer.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
We'll be in that area next week - visiting the WWI sites at Ypres also.

·
Registered
186 Posts
We'll be in that area next week - visiting the WWI sites at Ypres also.
That was my original plan - to visit the WW1 battle sites around Ypres, the Somme, and make a trip to Verdun in August for the 100th anniversary of the start of the war. Plus mix in a few WW2 sites. Trip had been on my radar for 20+ years. Hoping to do it in either 16 or 18 now and still mix in the riding.
Thanks for the well wishes guys. We are one year into this fight and hopefully we are halfway through it. Mountain biking and thoughts of dream vacations like this have helped me keep my sanity.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts