Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many people here wear cycling socks?
I have been riding on and off for close to ten years and have never owned a pair. Now, I usually use thin running socks that come up just above my ankle. When I first started riding in the mid-90's I used Dickies black work socks with my cycing shoes, Nike Pooh Bah.

Will I notice a difference from the socks I am using now? I just have a hard time spending the $ on socks. THey're like $6-7 a pair. I can usually by two pairs of the thin running sock I use for that price.

Again, will I notice anything different? Is there a special purpose/reason for wearing them that I am not aware of?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Ottoreni said:
I have been riding on and off for close to ten years and have never owned a pair. Now, I usually use thin running socks that come up just above my ankle. When I first started riding in the mid-90's I used Dickies black work socks with my cycing shoes, Nike Pooh Bah.

Will I notice a difference from the socks I am using now? I just have a hard time spending the $ on socks. THey're like $6-7 a pair. I can usually by two pairs of the thin running sock I use for that price.

Again, will I notice anything different? Is there a special purpose/reason for wearing them that I am not aware of?
You won't notice much difference between cycling sock and regular sock. I wear it for fashion statement. I can impress the chicks. :D However, you should wear 1 liner sock and another thin synthetic sock and you will be ok. When I refer to the word thin, I mean it should be reasonably thick but not winter wool sock.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Picard said:
You won't notice much difference between cycling sock and regular sock. I wear it for fashion statement. I can impress the chicks. :D However, you should wear 1 liner sock and another thin synthetic sock and you will be ok. When I refer to the word thin, I mean it should be reasonably thick but not winter wool sock.
I would say get a pair of cycling socks and just give them a try. Go for something like defeet, pearl izumi or Sockguy...

I personally noticed more comfort, less slipping, better breathing and faster drying with cycling socks. Both my dad and my mates have said the same. I can get about 5pairs of reebok socks for the same price as one pair of cycling socks(my dad works for reebok..), but I will still pick the cycling socks:)

Plus, they can look cool:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ottoreni said:

I enjoy using the Smartwool RBX Ultra socks .
I think they are more comfy than other socks.
But that may just be me.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
Ottoreni said:

If you're using thin (synthetic?) running socks now, I imagine you won't feel much difference. It's when you're riding with cotton gym socks and the like that switching to cycling socks makes a real difference.

Of course, I bet running socks don't come in all those cool colors and designs, do they? ;)

·
Ride lots...
896 Posts
I have at least 20 pairs. I wear them when not riding too--which, as others have said, makes for interesting conversation.

They are great to ride in and I would never go back to cotton "gym" socks. Very comfortable, no slippage and they wash up well.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Well I don't have any, but compared to normal gym socks they're a lot cooler and lighter according to my riding buddies, but the main reason I'd like them for is when it gets wet and you get wet they say they're a lot lighter when wet.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If the running socks you mentioned are synthetic like mentioned or coolmax of some sort than they are the same thing (defeet actually has a running line that from what ive seen is exactly the same.

If yer using regular cotton socks and are happy then I wouldnt worry, keep in mind that cycling socks are thinner and if yer shoes are sized for cotton socks they might be a bit loose with cyclin socks. My shoes are way too tight with regular socks

Moisture wicking technology is a good thing, might wanna buy at least one pair sometime. Id reccomend pearl izumis to start since they tend to be thicker (so the diff in fit wont be as noticeable) and they last much longer than say nike or something. My nikes last about a season whereas I still have some PIs that I got 3 years ago...But the nikes are much cooler (temp wise)

·
Registered
327 Posts
eayste said:
I enjoy using the Smartwool RBX Ultra socks .
I think they are more comfy than other socks.
But that may just be me.
It's not just you, I love those socks. There is an LL Bean outlet store by my house and I can get the "irregular" socks pretty cheap. Of course I make sure that the irregular part will be covered by the shoes. ;)

·
Map Maker
1,244 Posts
I use sock guy pearl Izumi and Woolie Bollie all are great socks - they wick away all sweat and make my cycling shoes fit better.

Woolie Boolies are the BEST winter / cool weather cycling sock I have ever used. they are made by Defeet.

If you use cycling jerseys then you know the difference in using something that is made to be cycling specific - the same goes for cycle shorts.
This hold true for cycling socks as well.
get some good wool ones from sock guy and you will be satisfied

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Too thin for me.

Ottoreni said:

I find most riding specific socks to be too thin for off roading. I have a ton of them, but if I ride several days in a row, by the 3rd day, I start getting blisters. Obviously everybody's feet are not the same, but they just didn't work for me. I now use a thicker wicking fiber short sock and don't have blisters. All my cycling socks are high quality CoolMax and other types of wicking fiber, but they just didn't have enough cushion. Since I wear a higher top, slightly armored, off road shoe, the style factor of the cycling socks was lost anyway.

·
Wizard of the Trail
912 Posts
walmart carries the starter dri star socks. They are cheap and work great.

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
DSDuke said:
I have at least 20 pairs. I wear them when not riding too--which, as others have said, makes for interesting conversation.

They are great to ride in and I would never go back to cotton "gym" socks. Very comfortable, no slippage and they wash up well.
Hey DSDuke, I dare you to post your sig in the Women's Lounge! Go on - I double-dare ya! ;) :D

·
2,548 Posts
mateoway said:
the ultimate fashion statement
Dang !!! them there look like my cycling socks of choice, 'xceptin' I scrunch mine all down around my ankle. Hell, I still use toe clips and straps, too ;) ...................Seriously................I do :cool:.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I like defeet & smartwool.
everything has pretty much been covered. Got my latest smartwool ones in b&w w/ some zebra like stripes from sierratradingpost.com.
also check ebay on buying multi pairs, but you may not much choice on style that way.
I won't ever go back to cotton for anything but ocassional dress socks & get lots of comments on my socks (pretty much my only bit of 'flair' in my very casual workwear).
Ottoreni said:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.