Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love cycling for many reasons.

The diversity of riding styles from fixxy SSers to crazy DH rigs that look like motorbikes.

The wonderful and wide range of riders from the Racing snakes to the Weekend Warriors.

It`s a wonderfully broad church that allows freedom of expression and lots of FUN!:D

Personally speaking I`ve found my own idea of this Nirvana has evolved over the years.

I stated dirtbiking when I was 9yrs old(1976) on a Raleigh Grifter,3 twist shift gears rigid and big fat(for the time) tyres. I went EVERYWHERE on this bike and totally LOVED every minute and had the bike until I was 13(1980).

After that I moved onto `Racing` type road bikes for a while, but at the age of 19 (1986)bought my first `proper` MTB,a steel fully rigid yellow and blue Raliegh `Team`.

I had this bike for years,used it for commuting and fun and it got me through my first jobs University and beyond.

Then at the age of 30 (1997) I discovered the joys of Suspension and bought a used Dawes FS edge with approx 3" travel both ends and Vee brakes. Took me right back to my Grifter days, LOVED it!

The bug well and truely `bit` at this point and I enjoyed getting very muddy!

2001 saw the purchase of a NEW Cannondale Jekyl 700 with a Lefty.A bit tight in the `Ballroom` area but a great bike.......UNTIL the front wheel failed catastrophically and a world of pain was revealed.

This was not an easy time and my confidence was severly shaken in the bike,so much so that I sent it back and had a Marin Wolf Ridge built with D321 rims and plain gauge spokes for my trail bike(2002).

This `burly` build allowed me to rebuild my confidence and it was a really good bike for me in many ways.

After a brief flirtation with road bikes again(which proved to me I was ALOT safer OFF road than on it!),I decided I would like to assemble my `ideal bike`.

In 2005, I built a Tomac Eli with Mav DUC321 Hope brakes and all the `nice` stuff(my mid-life crisis bike). I was very pleased with the bike and it did everything that I needed..........

Strangly enough about the same time as I was building the Tomac I came across the concept of `29er` MTBs on the web, most natably the MTBR 29er forum.

Well it got me thinking, I`m 6'2" and 250LBS perhaps this makes some sense.

Soooooooooooo, on impulse I bought a GF 293 off Ebay in Oct 2005 to `try` the 29er thing.

The rest as they say is History.

Rode the 293 in preference to the Tomac even though it was(on paper) no where near as good!:eek:

I`m TOTALLY hooked on the 29er thing.For me, this is my Nirvana (NOW) at the ago of 39 and 359days.

I`m now looking foreward to building up my new Lenzsport Behemoth with 5/5" travel and a AM build.

I`m older,less fit,heavier and (allegedly) wiser;but the grin is still that of the muddy 9yr old who has found his Nirvana!

THANK YOU to all you crazy,wonderful and grinning 29er forum members for helping me acheive the `higher plane` of conciousness.;)

Cheers,
Dr FG.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
I know exactly where you are coming from Dr F.

Cycling has woven it's theme through my whole life, there have been times when I have left it for other sports, but I always came back to it.

My grandfather and my father were both cyclists, and I am happy to say that I am also. I hope that my children will see my example and continue to follow it all their lives too.

Bicycling is a wonderful sport and a great way to get around and enjoy yourself.

To me, it represents freedom.

R.

·
Registered
298 Posts
long climb up the hill

Glad you've seen the light! There are plenty of good times to be found on two wheels... especially now that it's all downhill from here :D ;)

I think you'll be very happy with the Behemoth choice. Are you getting the new shorter CS version? I've been looking into one during my quest for the ultimate, all terrain mountain bike (Nirvana?)

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Black `long tailed` Moth has now landed in the UK after the Customs hold up and Parcelfarce (note spelling) finally managing to arrange delivery after much phone bashing !

BOS, I got the Long CS version on a good close out deal from Dennis at ComCycle USA.I have read Mikesees reviews of the `short` Moth and it does look good, but to be honest I don`t think I possess the skill or ability to discriminate between the two myself!

She`s a beauty !:thumbsup:

Just getting all the parts together for the build now, but things may be a little delayed as I`m (hopefully) moving house soon so our current garage is too full to allow for bike building and the weather certainly doesn`t allow for Al Fresco building.:eek:

I will post Pix as soon as I`m able and it stops raining.

LJ, yes the Nevegals DO look good, but no UK sites/shops sell them yet so I might hold out for the Halo Choirmasters in Feb.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Dr Feelygood ! said:
LJ, yes the Nevegals DO look good, but no UK sites/shops sell them yet so I might hold out for the Halo Choirmasters in Feb.
That is if they turn up in Feb. I hope they do. I think they'll be hefty though, 2.3 with steel beads and big knobs...still you weren't aiming for a weightweenie build were you?

·
A Surly Maverick
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AT 250LBS+...........

Not much point in me being a 'weightweenie' and cutting the odd pound on the bike,when there`s much more on me! :0

No,I think we will stick with NUKE PROOF as the build spec ! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.