Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Yummy
Joined
·
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"A total of 6,113 people were hospitalized in 2002-03 after hurting themselves in the pursuit of leisure.

Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/08/11/playground_accidents040811.html

Kn.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,671 Posts
That sure is a narrow sample window

K'Endo said:
From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"A total of 6,113 people were hospitalized in 2002-03 after hurting themselves in the pursuit of leisure.

Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/08/11/playground_accidents040811.html

Kn.
i wonder if all the opther disiplines were held to the same 3 month window.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
The sample window doesn't matter...

it wouldn't matter if they were held to the same amount of time. It was a simple statement that cycling topped the list with 665 people requiring an overnight stay between the months of June and August. I don't know if you read the article or not, but this line falls under a subtitle that says "Injuries increase in summer". I would think skiing would be far worse with all the knees and brain injuries.

where armour on all your rides...even cross country. Stuff all articles of clothing with Charmin...take all risk out of your life and live in a bubble!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,671 Posts
Chalk up two for sailing....

TCR1 said:
it wouldn't matter if they were held to the same amount of time. It was a simple statement that cycling topped the list with 665 people requiring an overnight stay between the months of June and August. I don't know if you read the article or not, but this line falls under a subtitle that says "Injuries increase in summer". I would think skiing would be far worse with all the knees and brain injuries.

where armour on all your rides...even cross country. Stuff all articles of clothing with Charmin...take all risk out of your life and live in a bubble!
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/08/11/sailboat_crash040811.html

Oh and have your kids wear helmets at the playground..
 

·
Ride what you want!!
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
It was a quick read through so I may have miss read the article but there were NO injury rates anywhere in that article that I saw. A rate is given as an event per period.

All I saw was a flat number of injuries. My question is, out of how many cyclists. Cycling may be twice as popular as any other activity so it'd be expected that the most injuries would be in cycling. But there may be some fringe activity (bear bating) that has 100% injury rate but since so few people do it, only 20 people came in during that period.

Those numbers in that article are meaningless with respect to injury rates.

george
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,931 Posts
laughable numbers

How many Canadians play hockey in August? On the other hand I read that rattlesnake baiting by drunks is the most dangerous sport. :D
 

·
Gravity Rides Everything
Joined
·
1,126 Posts
george_da_trog said:
It was a quick read through so I may have miss read the article but there were NO injury rates anywhere in that article that I saw. A rate is given as an event per period.

All I saw was a flat number of injuries. My question is, out of how many cyclists. Cycling may be twice as popular as any other activity so it'd be expected that the most injuries would be in cycling. But there may be some fringe activity (bear bating) that has 100% injury rate but since so few people do it, only 20 people came in during that period.

Those numbers in that article are meaningless with respect to injury rates.

george
yeah definitely not a very good representation of the "risk" involved in cycling...
I mean pretty much everybody hops on a bike at some time during the summer... so it could be expected people would crash/get hit by cars etc.... I don't think it's an excessively risky activity.. I've never gone to the hospital for anything bike related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,671 Posts
Or Ice fishing..or cow tipping

Dr.Faustus said:
There was no mention whatsoever of bear baiting in that article! How representative can that survey really be!

Whatevery happened to thorough and complete research?
Dr(Harumph)Faustus
for that matter hey...
 

·
MTBR member since 1998
Joined
·
185 Posts
I wonder if the North Shore has any bearing on that number....

Just think, if we remove those numbers, and the Whistler numbers, then it would be like, 3 people.
As mentioned earlier, cycling is probably the most active sport during the summer. Parents and kids at campsites after not riding all year long, parents using the bike to avoid impaired driving charges, parents using kids bikes to jump out of their SUV, parents using their SUV to pull themselves up jumps and into the side of buildings...
Goes to show you, only kids should ride bikes.
Tim...parent and kids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
exactly rotr, its most of the people that are at Whistler, and NS type stuff....freeriding and DHing. They probably including injuries during DH racing also. Trail riding and XC isnt wicked dangerous, but they do have their moments....its mainly the other types of biking.
 

·
And He was Not
Joined
·
1,680 Posts
That's just what the insurance companies need , that way they can write in a claus and call it an X-TREME sport and charge you more if you own a bicycle.
Here in N.C. they can up your homeowners if you have a dog,because of liabilities if it bites someone.
 

·
\|/ What 60 looks like
Joined
·
105 Posts
K'Endo said:
From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."
From my experience I would say that the vast majority of those injured and requiring hospitalization were roadies. Concrete isn't any softer than rock.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
I wonder of those results take into account multiple visits. I guy I ride with probably accounts for a few of those hospital visits between June and August. Really I think you have Whistler for that high a number. Drive by the clinic at the end of the day the parking lot and it;s full of people waiting for their friends.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,994 Posts
only 665, small price to pay

K'Endo said:
From a 2002-2003 study in Canada, the injury rate requiring a hospital stay is highest for cyclist among recreational injuries!

"A total of 6,113 people were hospitalized in 2002-03 after hurting themselves in the pursuit of leisure.

Cycling tops the list, with 665 people of all ages having to stay at least one night in hospital between June and August of that year after mishaps on their bikes."

Full article: http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2004/08/11/playground_accidents040811.html

Kn.
to fly like the wind.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top